• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish trade with UK four times that of trade with eu

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    More than 90% of Scotch Whisky produced is sold outside the UK. Indeed, Scotch Whisky is the biggest single net contributor to the UK's balance of trade in goods, and without this contribution the UK's trade deficit would be over 10% larger. Moreover, of the £3.8 billion worth of Scotch exported last year, £1.2bn - almost a third of the total - was shipped to the EU.

Scotch Whisky will not face a tariff on exports to the EU. 0% is the current EU tariff and World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules mean it won't change.

Scotch Whisky Association - Brexit - what now for Scotch Whisky?
    I'm sure you realise that I wasn't make a specific point with whisky, but one about access to markets. I understand that whisky is about 2.5% of Scottish GDP.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      But it could change corporation tax.

It could alter road tax.
      Why not use the tax powers it has?

As for Corporation Tax, you are aware that moves are afoot within the EU to have a common corporation tax rate (announced 2015) as well as the Common Corporate Tax Base (announced 2016). Within the EU, France/Germany don't want other countries undercutting them for Corporation Tax (yes Ireland, looking at you).

I would say Scotland is more likely to have CT devolved to it as part of a UK independent of the EU (Northern Ireland is due to get this power from 2018) than as a member of the EU.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Of course, Scotland wouldn't be free to negotiate any kind of free-trade with rUK. Being in the EU would prevent that.
        But Scotland won't be in the EU. When the UK leaves, Scotland leaves.

Sturgeon has no power to call another referendum before Brexit (or at all) as constitutional matters are reserved to Westminster. So she can bleat and threaten all she likes, it's not in her power to call a vote.

Comment

Why would we want a free trade deal with the UK?

Is it not already clear wages are already depressed at the expense of cheap labour in the north compared to other parts of the UK for the same job? That was part of my reason for choosing not to work in Scotland post graduation. Do the same job in England and be paid near twice as much as that in Scotland despite working for the same company. You'd need to be mad to call the UK a union of equals.
          Certainly not the case with financial services contracts, rates there are better than in Manchester, especially Edinburgh
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I would say Scotland is more likely to have CT devolved to it as part of a UK independent of the EU (Northern Ireland is due to get this power from 2018) than as a member of the EU.
            Thought this was only on the want list? Moreover, I wouldn't bet on it. NI's government is having trouble tying its shoe laces at present.

Comment

Why would we want a free trade deal with the UK?
              I suppose you wouldn't. But more people in Scotland want to remain in the UK, so your minority view is that you would prefer Scotland to have a barrier to trade with the country it currently trades most with - whilst watching from afar. The EU isn't going to suddenly take up that slack. To paraquote someone else, the EU isn't going to suddenly start eating porridge and drinking whiskey to keep Scotland going.

Is it not already clear wages are already depressed at the expense of cheap labour in the north compared to other parts of the UK for the same job? That was part of my reason for choosing not to work in Scotland post graduation. Do the same job in England and be paid near twice as much as that in Scotland despite working for the same company. You'd need to be mad to call the UK a union of equals.
              Depends on what you want to be equal? Scotland having a 25% say in the UK would overrepresent its population, and make rUK be underrepresented.

The cost of living in Scotland is much lower than 'other parts of the UK', so wages would be lower. Being in the EU wont fix that for you, hence wages in Eastern Europe are lower than 'other parts of the UK'.

I suspect many businesses are in Scotland employing people BECAUSE of the lower wages. Without that draw, many of them would be elsewhere.

Comment

But it could change corporation tax.

It could alter road tax.
                But that won't work, because Jimmy Krankie would not be able to blame the tax hikes on the nasty English.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Thought this was only on the want list? Moreover, I wouldn't bet on it. NI's government is having trouble tying its shoe laces at present.
                  It is probably a good thing for NI in the long run if its Deputy Leader isn't a murdering terrorist.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    But Scotland won't be in the EU. When the UK leaves, Scotland leaves.
                    I know that, but I'm using scooterscot's wet dream here. The reality is an independent Scotland would not be in the EU. But being a member of the EU is not the crown jewels he thinks it is anyway.

Sturgeon would find that out with the European Union not being a Union of equals. Scotland has six MEPs. Its voice wouldn't even be the tiniest squeak.

Comment

Actually, I disagree with that. Scotland is perfectly represented. The number of MPs with Scottish contituencies is roughly proportional to Scottish population as part of the population as a whole.

What you mean is the SNP are overrepresented, but that's our FPTP system for you.
                      Having looked at the figures, it's actually the Welsh who are most over-represented. Numbers below are average number of voters per constituency for 2015:
                      England 72,676
                      Scotland 69,484
                      N Ireland 68,709
                      Wales 57,044

Like you say, though, FPTP system is more flawed than the US system imo.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X