• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else not have a pension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Have a SIPP with a nice 6-figure sum in it, and recently sold 2 BTLs in London, proceeds of which are sitting in various trackers.
    The latter make me uneasy as I can see stock markets around the world are frothy due to low interest rates/QE.
    Not so sure of the UK property market, particulalry if Corbyn gets in, so I'm going to invest the BTL proceeds in a property in Lisbon/Cascais/Estoril, which has high all-year short-term rental demand and is still some way of its pre-recession peak. Also has the benefit of providing a nice holiday home.
    Portugal has various tax advantages and no inheritance tax for direct lineage.
    Pre-recession peak...what a hell!!! What do you mean by this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      Pre-recession peak...what a hell!!! What do you mean by this?
      It means exactly what it says.
      https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/.../Price-History
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes, but pre-recession it's not before a recession? Portugal it's not in a recession anymore. I'm sorry the confusion, probably is my English.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          Yes, but pre-recession it's not before a recession? Portugal it's not in a recession anymore. I'm sorry the confusion, probably is my English.
          Yes that's what I mean. Lisbon property prices now are about 10% less than they were before the recession. So there's some room for capital growth.
          Also Lisbon is becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe (apart from its obvious attractions it also has the lowest chance of terrorist attack).
          I would rent to tourists on short-term lets, renting to a local is too complciated in terms of the law + that way I could keep the property free for certain periods when I wanted it for holiday purposes. I like Cascais actually, rather than Lisbon itself, but it's close enough.
          Last edited by sasguru; 9 August 2017, 16:57.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes that's what I mean. Lisbon property prices now are about 10% less than they were before the recession. So there's some room for capital growth.
            Also Lisbon is becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe (apart from its obvious attractions it also has the lowest chance of terrorist attack).
            I would rent to tourists on short-term lets, renting to a local is too complciated in terms of the law + that way I could keep the property free for certain periods when I wanted it for holiday purposes. I like Cascais actually, rather than Lisbon itself, but it's close enough.
            Yes, the house prices are increasing again and fast, but a good time for buying was in 2012, I know a lot of people that invested in a house to sell later.

Porto has a lot of tourism too.

Comment

Working...
            X