• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Joining a Club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Could be true, but it's also counting with the egg in the chicken's ass.

I think there is a pattern among the Brexiters.
    Explain how? We want to sell to them, they want to sell to us. That seems very like to like.

If we were suggesting that we could sell tariff free to the EU but not the other way around then that would be imbalanced.

If we were wanting freedom of movement in the EU but not allowing freedom of movement here then that would be an imbalance.

The only thing causing a problem is the EU ideology that the two must go hand in hand. No Remnant has yet explained why that is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

The only thing causing a problem is the EU ideology that the two must go hand in hand. No Remnant has yet explained why that is a good thing.
      Nor are they ever likely to.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        Explain how? We want to sell to them, they want to sell to us. That seems very like to like.

If we were suggesting that we could sell tariff free to the EU but not the other way around then that would be imbalanced.

If we were wanting freedom of movement in the EU but not allowing freedom of movement here then that would be an imbalance.

Is this going to increase the prices due to the tariffs and become the UK less competitive? If yes, maybe there is a risk.

Comment

Is this going to increase the prices due to the tariffs and become the UK less competitive? If yes, maybe there is a risk.
          Good God!

If one side were to introduce tariffs then the other side would be forced to respond.

Point is, there is little commercial need for EITHER side to do so.

If they ARE introduced it will be as a result of political interference, and that will be bad for both sides.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Good God!

If one side were to introduce tariffs then the other side would be forced to respond.

If they ARE introduced it will be as a result of political interference, and that will be bad for both sides.
            Let me see if I understood.

You are expecting that the free market without tariffs could be maintained after the Brexit. Is that it?

Comment

Good God!

In such a scenario other members of the club will ask themselves, why are we members? Lets getta out here.

Of course there'll be tariffs, just as there is for Norway and Switzerland. Remember much of the UK's trade to the EU is services based. Services are easily moved, unlike manufacturing.

If there was little need for either side to introduce tariffs Mayhem would not concerning herself with running over to misogynist Trump for a deal. Any deal. A great deal.

It's embarrassing.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Let me see if I understood.

You are expecting that the free market without tariffs could be maintained after the Brexit. Is that it?
                I am not "expecting" it, but in reality there is no reason why it could not be implemented.

Businesses both in the EU and the UK will be reasonably happy to maintain the trading status quo.

Where the problems will arise is that the political leaders, who care less about the people they represent than they do about maintaining a vice-like control over them, will be less keen on allowing this.

In the long term it will boil down to whether or not the politicos get their rather petty way, or if the wishes of the electorate are properly considered.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  In such a scenario other members of the club will ask themselves, why are we members? Lets getta out here.
                  Exactly. And that would cause either the complete break-up of the EU as it currently exists, or at the very least, a significant redrawing of the Modus Operandi.

That would not be bad news for anyone really other than the megalomaniac EU Leadership, who wish for nothing more than to extend the tentacles of their influence.

Is the penny starting to drop yet?

Comment

I am not "expecting" it, but in reality there is no reason why it could not be implemented.

Businesses both in the EU and the UK will be reasonably happy to maintain the trading status quo.

Where the problems will arise is that the political leaders, who care less about the people they represent than they do about maintaining a vice-like control over them, will be less keen on allowing this.

In the long term it will boil down to whether or not the politicos get their rather petty way, or if the wishes of the electorate are properly considered.
                    There is an issue here because the single market was created to benefit EU members, you buy my products and I will buy yours with no fees. If you buy outside EU you will have to pay a fee like the others. If we open an exception to UK this will be a problem for obvious reasons.

Comment

There is an issue here because the single market was created to benefit EU members, you buy my products and I will buy yours with no fees.
                      Agreed, and that all worked very well for a considerable period of time when all of the members were capable of contributing appropriately.

Fast forward to the present however, and we discover a lopsided melting pot of cash-strapped lame-duck economies feeding off the diminishing number of net contributors.
                      There is only one way that scenario is likely to end, and the first cracks are appearing.

If you buy outside EU you will have to pay a fee like the others. If we open an exception to UK this will be a problem for obvious reasons.
                      Unless the "exception" becomes the rule.

Comment

Working...
                      X