• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone recognize this phone number?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bl00dy power diallers - we had one some years ago that was so persistent that we thought we had a crank caller - we complained to BT & finally the Police, who traced it to a power dialler based in Eire - it took nearly two years to sort out, at a rate of at least two calls a day.
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

A thorough search on Google brings up this information about the people who run this scam

TelXL Ltd

Mr Paul Gallini,
      2 Chapel Court, Holly Walk, Lemington Spa, CV32 4YS
      Tel: 07966 202 150
      Fax: 01926452640

Nigel Fox
      84 Stanbrook Road
      Monkspath
      Solihull
      West Midlands
      B90 4US
      Tel 0121 2466733.

Been Missed Call scammed by 08700 679 834 or similar?
      Phone the director Paul Gallini on his mobile 07966 202 150,
      or Nigel Fox at home on 0121 2466733 to complain!

Comment

Originally posted by ihatetelxl
        A thorough search on Google brings up this information about the people who run this scam

TelXL Ltd

Mr Paul Gallini,
        2 Chapel Court, Holly Walk, Lemington Spa, CV32 4YS
        Tel: 07966 202 150
        Fax: 01926452640

Nigel Fox
        84 Stanbrook Road
        Monkspath
        Solihull
        West Midlands
        B90 4US
        Tel 0121 2466733.

I really don't think you should give out addresses like that. Some miscreants might be tempted to make use of this information in a way that you wouldn't like.

Comment

Hmm i had something like this today from 07061764155. When you call back it answer immeadiatly and plays a ringing sound as if it is trying to connect you somewhere.

I put it down to spammy crap and hung up.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB

whoever it is has phoned me 4 times in the last week and when I answer there is never anyone there.

On a related subject, how many times do I have to tell my phone provider I dont want to extend my contract, I dont want a new phone and I dont want them to keep ringing me up to ask me if I want them!
            Complain to the regulator. It's this one:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

AIUI under the TPS it is an offence for a company to ring someone who has asked not to be rung, even if they aren't TPS registered.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
              Hmm i had something like this today from 07061764155. When you call back it answer immeadiatly and plays a ringing sound as if it is trying to connect you somewhere.

I put it down to spammy crap and hung up.
              That'll be the 15 pound fixed charge number :-)

tim

Comment

Is it somehow possible to do the following ?

Spam number calls you. You record the number.

You dial the number back and using some sort of tonal generator or whatever, get it to present to you a dial tone.

You then make it dial your own premium rate number.

Yeah, illegal I suppose, but just wondered. I once found a program many years ago, that played high pitch noises over the speakers. The instructions were to hold a phone next to the speakers. Lo and behold, it rang a number of my chosing using DTMF tones. Clever stuff.
                Last edited by Board Game Geek; 4 December 2006, 01:40.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
                  I once found a program many years ago, that played high pitch noises over the speakers. The instructions were to hold a phone next to the speakers. Lo and behold, it rang a number of my chosing using DTMF tones. Clever stuff.
                  Going back to the early 90s, a colleague found that US phone menu systems wouldn't respond to a British phone. He bought a small gadget which you could hold to the phone mouthpiece and bash the desired numbers into.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    I really don't think you should give out addresses like that. Some miscreants might be tempted to make use of this information in a way that you wouldn't like.
                    And how would that be worse than ringing a sequential list of numbers, not caring whether they opted in or are registered with TPS, then hanging up immediately so that the calls call back at £1.50/minute only to hear "please wait while we try to connect you ((ring ring)) ((ring ring))", to make thousands of pounds from innocent victims?

**** 'em - they deserve everything they get.

or if you manage to answer the call - waste their time for as long as you possibly can.
                    Last edited by ihatetelxl; 5 December 2006, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
                      I went bollistic at him like, cheeky tw*t.
                      I sure hope I never get on the wrong side of you Sally !

Hell hath no fury indeed.

Comment

Working...
                      X