• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

America

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I signed up for 2 years and ended up staying for 5!! I loved it - but then I was single and had a "cute englsh accent" according to the local lasses!!

The cost of living is better and, despite the lack of holidays, the quality of life is better. I lived in Dallas and, despite the heat, there was a lot to do and being very central, easy to travel. I do project work so travelled all over. I loved in DC for a couple of months and in the Bay area for 6 months.

If you work for a decent company health insurance will be good and the holidays fair. I worked for a European Co and so got my UK holiday entitlement although my salary was purely local but had an uplift plus housing paid for.

Cars are cheap - I ended up buying a Mustang and now have it here to drive around in.

I would go back in a heartbeat! You do need to be prepared to adapt. In areas where you don't want to or cant adapt, you can usually brush it off as quaint English traditions!!

Bottom line: go for it. I would be very surprised if you regret it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
      If you work for a decent company health insurance will be good and the holidays fair.
      One lilkely problem is a starting period (e.g. 6 months) where dental treatment is not covered. So do get known dental work done before you go, if you can find a dentist.

OTOH the American dental work seems to be higher quality: after 20 years in my mouth it's all still there. Not true of later work done back here.

Comment

Working...
      X