• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors, I detest them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    So its just on here you talk bollocks and act the Walter?

You don't think I could be a respected international jet setting executive IRL by talking bollocks do you?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Perhaps I should try the gobby approach like you lot probably do...

Comment

Always worth making a strong first impression though, no?

Environment dependant obviously. I've found in IB's it's usually part and parcel to go in with a bit of arrogance, because people respond positively to that. It's playground politics.. you find the strong people in the area and talk yourself up with the others.

It happens with perms too.. It has nothing to do with contracting and everything about corporate culture. Perhaps you're not a good fit for your job?

Comment

+1

Met a gobtulipe who was always banging on about his money a couple years back.

He was surprised he got the bag, surprised the manager wouldn't give him a recommendation (he messaged another contractor on LinkedIn moaning about it).

Nobody else was surprised, contractors nor permies.

Some people just have no self awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by marypoppins View Post
            current clientco has had a recent influx of new contractors. They have all somehow so far managed to come across as pretty detestable - arrogant, mouthing off about previous roles, and assuming anyone they speak to is a dumb perm.

I can't work out why so many contractors start a new role in this way. Perhaps it's because i'm not in a 'techy' environment - these people are generally project managers who will personally achieve very little so are already setting out their stalls.

I prefer a more cautious approach to my first few weeks in any new role - i like to assess the lay of the land before i come out of my shell.

Perhaps i should try the gobby approach like you lot probably do...
            what's your problem? Perhaps you should stick the kettle on love?
            Last edited by DimPrawn; 15 September 2016, 20:46.

Comment

First stint on the job is 100% technical/professional/listen twice as hard as a I talk.

If its a client I've worked for before, I'm like alright big yin, how's it hanging?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                what's your problem? Perhaps you should stick the kettle on love?
                Don't forget the sandwiches!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Is this a cut and paste, your attempt to get banned or a cry for help?

I've found contractors to be a mixed bag and the level of confidence to level of ability coefficient varies considerably. Some know their stuff but can be quite humble about it - they generally sit there quietly, consistently delivering and getting extended. Others bs their way in and soon bs their way well out of their depth and out the door. I find these amusing and provide comedy value aplenty.
                  Or more depressing here where I work, people who spout bs and end up getting renewal after renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    Or more depressing here where I work, people who spout bs and end up getting renewal after renewal.
                    At a client I had years ago (internet bank start up for high street bank), four or five seniors had to go to a board room meeting (seniors in dev/environments/release/testing etc) every morning. There was this strange wee guy who at the end of the meeting used to summarise what everyone had said. xxxx's team will complete the packages by lunchtime, pass them to config management who will contact the release management team who will deploy and pass to testing etc etc.

This strange wee guy turned out to be on £1400 a day and was considered indispensable BS merchants who can carry it off well, can make a lot of money.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                      Famous work proverb:
                      You only have to know one more thing than the next person to be seen as the expert.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X