• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Waste of Time Bollox is more complex than you think

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Leaving aside the question of whether a survey of 12k voters statistically represents the views of 17m, it merely confirms my point - if the survey says that the vote was about sovereignty, and the vote itself was a simple "leave the EU", then as long as we leave the EU it doesn't matter what the terms are, and that a Brexit with full passporting, Common Market access, free movement of people, and a hefty contribution from the UK to the EU each year still fulfils the result of the referendum.

Somehow though I doubt that the Sun and Daily Mail readers would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Leaving aside the question of whether a survey of 12k voters statistically represents the views of 17m, it merely confirms my point - if the survey says that the vote was about sovereignty, and the vote itself was a simple "leave the EU", then as long as we leave the EU it doesn't matter what the terms are, and that a Brexit with full passporting, Common Market access, free movement of people, and a hefty contribution from the UK to the EU each year still fulfils the result of the referendum.

Just over 2000 respondents should be representative enough for most.

Good to see people realising it was about sovereignty rather than immigration. Shame it's taken them so long.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

Yep, though I think most polls having shockingly few participants. Probably why they get things like general elections wrong.

The one I was looking for was I think from The Guardian last week which said the same: most outies voted for "take back control" more than immigration. "Take back control" could simply mean getting control of one thing from the EU and voila! Referendum result satisfied. Of course whilst immigration can be measured (mostly), "control" is rather more difficult to get a handle on. I'd be quite happy being a full member of the EEA with freedom of movement. It just means less control.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Yep, though I think most polls having shockingly few participants. Probably why they get things like general elections wrong.

The one I was looking for was I think from The Guardian last week which said the same: most outies voted for "take back control" more than immigration. "Take back control" could simply mean getting control of one thing from the EU and voila! Referendum result satisfied. Of course whilst immigration can be measured (mostly), "control" is rather more difficult to get a handle on. I'd be quite happy being a full member of the EEA with freedom of movement. It just means less control.
          And we want the opposite.

And having thousands more respondents in a survey will make a disproportionate difference. Around 2000 is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Good to see people realising it was about sovereignty rather than immigration. Shame it's taken them so long.
            It would be interesting to see if any adjustment was made for the shy racist (like the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_Factor).

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Explain exactly what you mean by sovereignty because as far as I am aware if the UK didn't have sovereignty then it would not have been able to hold the referendum...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X