• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear, Wales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Does my chunk that anyone in wales could vote to leave after all the money we get.... Just proves, unfortunately, how thick some of my fellow countymen are Im sad to say...

All I heard the last few weeks was we've got to get these foreigners out. And then they go on about someone from somalia or something! No concept at all of anything else and just listen to crap in the media. I'm sure some people I've spoken think exit means we're going to go around with trucks rounding up every non-white, or non-brit and throw them out of the country now. Seriously.

The Ebbw Vale thing is just typical. The place is a tulipehole and like the article said the only non-british born people there are probably just the takeway owners!

Its just nuts that someone in Ebbw Vale could vote to leave. The place has been practically rebuilt using EU money.

It used to be a centre for coal and steel years ago so was essential to the UK economy. Now its just another tulipehole valley town. Will central UK government want to throw money at it - will they bollacks. Half the valleys towns are dying WITH EU money without the future is bleak...
    The same thing happened in Cornwall and they've had over a Billion pounds of funding from the EU, on the face of it though regardless of funding it still a tuliphole.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      But they did have sound reasons for voting out: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eave-ebbw-vale
      You got it all wrong. It only goes to show the wisdom of the Welsh voters, who put the interests of the entire UK in front of their own. Voting leave despite not having immigrants and benefiting from bundles of EU cash. They made the ultimate sacrifice ans should be applauded, not mocked...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        You got it all wrong. It only goes to show the wisdom of the Welsh voters, who put the interests of the entire UK in front of their own. Voting leave despite not having immigrants and benefiting from bundles of EU cash. They made the ultimate sacrifice ans should be applauded, not mocked...
        Yes, let's see how they react when unemployment goes from 40% to 70% ...

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Does my chunk that anyone in wales could vote to leave after all the money we get.... Just proves, unfortunately, how thick some of my fellow countymen are Im sad to say...

All I heard the last few weeks was we've got to get these foreigners out. And then they go on about someone from somalia or something! No concept at all of anything else and just listen to crap in the media. I'm sure some people I've spoken think exit means we're going to go around with trucks rounding up every non-white, or non-brit and throw them out of the country now. Seriously.

The Ebbw Vale thing is just typical. The place is a tulipehole and like the article said the only non-british born people there are probably just the takeway owners!

Its just nuts that someone in Ebbw Vale could vote to leave. The place has been practically rebuilt using EU money.

It used to be a centre for coal and steel years ago so was essential to the UK economy. Now its just another tulipehole valley town. Will central UK government want to throw money at it - will they bollacks. Half the valleys towns are dying WITH EU money without the future is bleak...
          hmmm...

Accounting for the variety of estimates that we do have available, the annual investment received by Wales could be an estimated €653-747 million per year, compared to an estimated annual contribution of €630 million.
          https://fullfact.org/europe/wales-ge...t-deal-out-eu/

You are getting about 15 quid per person per year, enough for a meal deal in an Indian Takeaway. The Guardian is, as ever, way off in its claims.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            hmmm...

https://fullfact.org/europe/wales-ge...t-deal-out-eu/

You are getting about 15 quid per person per year, enough for a meal deal in an Indian Takeaway. The Guardian is, as ever, way off in its claims.
            Doesn't that ignore the fact that the EU grants were concentrated in areas that needed it?
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              Doesn't that ignore the fact that the EU grants were concentrated in areas that needed it?
              So what, EU contributions were concentrated in areas that did not need grants.

Comment

Ah, I thought that the contributions were the grants? I only skipped it, did I misread?

Comment

Do you mean payments?
                  I never had you down as a cretin, but I'm beginning to wonder.
                  Only cretins thought the EU payments were anything significant - 1% of GDP is chump change.
                  The drop in the value of sterling and the value of the economy since last Friday already dwarfs the 47 years' of UK contributions to the EU

Comment

Doesn't the report do its comparisons based upon population though:

Taking figures from Eurostat, the UK as a whole has contributed on average around €13 billion to the EU per year since 2007. The population of Wales accounts for around 4.8% of the UKs, so on this basis Wales has contributed the equivalent of €630 million, or around €200 per head.

However, the proportion on contribution to the GNP is not uniformly distributed so would this still be a valid metric?

Places like Ebbw Vale relied heavily on EU grants whereas somewhere like Cardiff probably would not, or at least not as heavily.

So the impact from losing the EU grants is not going to obliterate Wales but it will obliterate parts of Wales that were heavily dependent on them. Maybe not a big deal for the country as these would probably have been economically depressed areas to begin with but a big deal for the people living there.

I am not much of an economist so I am happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood the above?

Comment

My point was that as an entity wales pays in as much as it gets, pretty much.

Ultimately, these grants just don't work, it's political racketeering, just let regions drop business tax and let the market adjust to profitable enterprise.

Feck all this bureaucracy for the right to build meaningless visitor centres that only school kids get dragged to on outings

Comment

Working...
                      X