• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should politicians vote to overturn the referendum result?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Nigel.

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second*referendum on Britain in Europe*if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”
    Farrago interview with the Mirror May 16.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Farrago interview with the Mirror May 16.
      He is a man of principle so he will fight for a conclusive second referendum.

Comment

The important thing is that our parliament is free to make British law.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          My hunch ( based on nothing substantial ) is that right now there is an awful lot of diplomatic work going on trying to agree a materially-different settlement for the UK....
          It's seems logical. Merkel does not wish for a exit that would damage the EU. But I do think the UK over estimates its contribution to the EU.

Assuming what you said is now happening behind closed doors...

1) Why would one member get special privileges over the remaining 27? Especially when other states have said emphatically that wouldn't happen. I'm all for pragmatism, but that happens when you've got a seat at the table not when you're throwing your toys out the pram.

2) The ballot paper was clear. Do you wish the UK to leave the EU or remain. There was no small print. The whole point was to get away from the anti-democratic. What does that make us now? Corrupt or incompetent?

3) Why does the UK only think of itself? The UK was never that keen to be involved in EU matters. The EU's first and foremost goal, from speaking to others here, is to get rid of the uncertainty.

If the UK dithers throughout this week it's going to have its decisions made for it, which is my greatest fear.
          Last edited by scooterscot; 26 June 2016, 19:29.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Unfortunately for the EU they used the term "shall" instead of "must" in article 50.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              because the EU workers won't take the work back to their country and work for a dollar a day. Or be paid a headline rate which then drops below minimum wage with employer deductions.
              Then why not the UK company pay UK wages in said Eastern european country?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X