• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 Month till the crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The government can't let house prices go down. It is all that is holding the economy up.
    Is that a helicopter I can hear overhead?

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
      i think my life mirrors yours, also bought first home at the beginning of '08 and fixed the rate for 5 years,

now about to complete on a new home, fearing the worst
      Well I bought my house in October 2007 and it has appreciated by a few quid - so that's good.

But as others say - unless you want to sell it the value of the house means nothing.

Comment

The government can't let house prices go down. It is all that is holding the economy up.
        But history shows us from many countless examples that Governments cannot prevent bubbles from bursting. They can only ever inflate them further and further until ......

Comment

Crash will only happen when AtW buys a sofa from DFS
          FTFY
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            But history shows us from many countless examples that Governments cannot prevent bubbles from bursting. They can only ever inflate them further and further until ......
            ... people realize there is no point in saving. They should just spend it all.

We are decades away from that point. By that time it will be the problem of someone else.

Are Wayne said in Wayne's world, party on dude......

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Well I bought my house in October 2007 and it has appreciated by a few quid - so that's good.

But as others say - unless you want to sell it the value of the house means nothing.
              yeah I got mine at a decent price and spent some money on renovating it, probably about break on estimated current value but as you said I'm not interested in selling and hoping to use it as a pension pot

but about to embark on the same process albeit the numbers are a bit bigger this time

Comment

There will be 5m more buyers in a few years time, once Turkey and the others get their EU meal ticket, so prices will rise massively.

UK can never experience a house price drop, not with the inward flow of people growing at an exponential rate.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  There will be 5m more buyers in a few years time, once Turkey and the others get their EU meal ticket, so prices will rise massively.

UK can never experience a house price drop, not with the inward flow of people growing at an exponential rate.
                  They won't buy. They will need social housing. Buy a flat/house, jam it to the rafters with immigrants. Housing Benefit will pay the bill.

Shoud make enough cash to buy your own weight in Gold. And in MF's case that is alot!

Comment

They won't buy. They will need social housing. Buy a flat/house, jam it to the rafters with immigrants. Housing Benefit will pay the bill.

Shoud make enough cash to buy your own weight in Gold. And in MF's case that is alot!
                    Exactly, any housing stock will be rented to the new arrivals, and our wonderful ever caring landlords that only do it for the love of people will be paid by the tax payer, so everyone wins!

We can build another vile Birmigham sized city every decade. Sounds like a dream future!

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
                      Yeah I know, but would still suck, as I could have bought at a lower price getting either more for my money, or having lower mortgage costs. So whilst I understand the long view, I would still be fuming.

Also, I took a massive one for the team back then, and paid every penny back (as we had to sell unfortunately) so I'd prefer not to be the poor schmo who cops it again.

Maybe some form of crash that only effects baby boomers would even it all up a bit.
                      Purchased my first house (2 up 2 down) in 1988 the interest rate then was 15%, sold it in 2000 paid the solicitor and the estate agent and walked away without a penny 12 years in negative equity, I had to borrow the money for the deposit on the next house.

my advise is buy a home not an investment or something you can add value to by extending or renovating, if it then goes pear shaped your then not desperate to move.

The whole housing market goes in cycles much like the stock market there is always a correction eventually

Comment

Working...
                      X