• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating a new rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderwaif
    My circumstances may change. My costs increase.
    I'm a business, you sound like IR35 fodder to me.
    I also agree but as a professional you should be able to negotiate rate rise on added value, i.e. you have got to know their business and are able to see where your services could be applied to their benefit.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
      I agree but wouldn't be using this argument every three months though.
      I never said I would, I'm just saying once a contract has been completed there's nothing wrong with negoitiating new terms for the next contract - I've had rate drops on renewal due to supply and demand, I'm amazed that people here find it wrong in principle to negotiate new terms for a new contract.
      Boom boom boom boom
      A-haw haw haw haw
      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        I also agree but as a professional you should be able to negotiate rate rise on added value, i.e. you have got to know their business and are able to see where your services could be applied to their benefit.
        one example:
        I have a contract with a company to service my home alarm system at an agreed rate for a fixed term. Contract expires and a new contract is negotiated with a new rate. I don't see anything wrong with that, even though they are not adding anymore value than they did the previous contract. It's all part of business.
        Boom boom boom boom
        A-haw haw haw haw
        Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
        Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

people aren't saying it's wrong on principal. They are saying that you should not expect to earn more just because you have been there XXX amount of time, but instead because of an added business benefit that you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            people aren't saying it's wrong on principal. They are saying that you should not expect to earn more just because you have been there XXX amount of time, but instead because of an added business benefit that you can provide.
            I never ask for an increase because I have been there for any length of time. I ask for an increase if the market warrants it, just like the client looks to decrease the rate on contract renewal if the market warrants it.
            The arguement seemed to me to be it is wrong to ask for an increase on renewal. I say new contract, new negotiation. nothing wrong with it.
            Boom boom boom boom
            A-haw haw haw haw
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif
              My circumstances may change. My costs increase.
              I'm a business, you sound like IR35 fodder to me.
              Of course circumstances 'may' change, but that is unlikely in 3 months (and many of them are not business related and thus shouldn't affect your client) .

As an IT bod, it is unlikely that your costs will change in an unforseeable upwards direction in three months.

What's a general acceptance of business practices got to do with being IR35 fodder? If I were a 'real' business making real widgets there is no chance of being inside IR35, but if I went to a client after three months and said that I wanted to increase the price, I would expect the answer to be "you must be joking matey"

Just because I don't go to the client and say "I've got you by the balls matey, increase my rate or I'll leave" I am a dumbass is that it?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                Of course circumstances 'may' change, but that is unlikely in 3 months (and many of them are not business related and thus shouldn't affect your client) .

As an IT bod, it is unlikely that your costs will change in an unforseeable upwards direction in three months.

What's a general acceptance of business practices got to do with being IR35 fodder? If I were a 'real' business making real widgets there is no chance of being inside IR35, but if I went to a client after three months and said that I wanted to increase the price, I would expect the answer to be "you must be joking matey"

Just because I don't go to the client and say "I've got you by the balls matey, increase my rate or I'll leave" I am a dumbass is that it?

tim
                I didn't say that, but starting to think that way.
                I don't know the details of your business, you don't know the details of mine.
                What I do know is that once I have honoured the terms and conditions of one contract I am free to negotiate a new one. The client is equally free to negotiate down if the market allows.
                It's just business whether I am supplying widgets or expertise in a particular area.
                This 'real' business thing is a bit of a giveaway.
                you are Hector and I claim my £5.00
                Boom boom boom boom
                A-haw haw haw haw
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

[QUOTE=Ardesco]
                  Originally posted by SallyAnne

And there was me under the impression that you had admitted to being plump not little in another thread.... (Unless of course you are small and plump which is never a good combination...)

Ha ha - damn your memory!!

And I said curvy, not plump! Both of which would have been lies actually - I'm huge!
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

like all good middle aged geordie lasses hey :P

There must be like a special age where geordie lasses go from fit and feisty to fat and fiesty in a period of a month or so.........

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                      like all good middle aged geordie lasses hey :P

There must be like a special age where geordie lasses go from fit and feisty to fat and fiesty in a period of a month or so.........

I'm not middle aged you cheeky sod! I'm only 30.

I'm just a naturally fat lass
                      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                      X