• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ministers halt automatic broadband roll-out for rural families because 'not everyone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    At least they've done Devon and Cornwall for all those rich Londoners with holiday homes down here.

Sat ~8 miles from nearest town surrounded by fields and 1 village pub but have fibre broadband thanks to BT.
    Still waiting for ours. We're too far from the cabinet to give us ADSL so we're getting FTTP. Live date keeps slipping though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
      Still waiting for ours. We're too far from the cabinet to give us ADSL so we're getting FTTP. Live date keeps slipping though.

That's what happens when you live in a mobile home.

Should have stuck with FTTC like us commoners.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

That's what happens when you live in a mobile home.

Should have stuck with FTTC like us commoners.
        Ahem, Openreach are struggling to run the fibre across the moat and through the castle wall.

Comment

I am like probably thousands out there in a similar situation.
          FTTC is available locally but I am am on an exchange only line so completely stuffed.
          So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Only London matters. Turn off the Internet for anyone outside London. Money saved can be used for some new bridges.

Architects Run Wild With Proposals for Another New London Bridge | Gizmodo UK
            Some housing in central London has maximum internet speeds as bad as rural areas.

But don't let that get in the way of your prejudices....
            Last edited by SueEllen; 6 May 2016, 20:46.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
              FTTC is available locally but I am am on an exchange only line so completely stuffed.

I had same situation when renting a house near a client, that happened to be across the road from the exchange. So my direct line was slower than if I'd rented somewhere at the other end of the street that went via a cabinet.

They should (and maybe some do) offer FTTP in those cases, even if it has a one off installation fee.

I always check what is available via samknows (or other suitable source) before moving to make sure I don't get gotchad like that. That's how I found out I could get FTTC via Plusnet where I am now, when checking if anyone other than BT/Plusnet was available yet. Nothing through the door or from Plusnet to say I could upgrade from adsl, so it came as a nice surprise.

I did mull over not telling any of the neighbours to avoid them all piling on and spoiling the contention.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I had same situation when renting a house near a client, that happened to be across the road from the exchange. So my direct line was slower than if I'd rented somewhere at the other end of the street that went via a cabinet.
                I don't know how that works. Probably a case of them having left that tick box off the form rather than anything technical.

My exchange is about 200 yards out from my back garden, but I think the cable goes in the opposite direction down the road to the cabinet. Managed ~18Mb on ADSL which is about as good as it got; main benefit of FTTC is the big increase in upload speed.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  You do due to the way many web sites are designed - with one million embedded scipts from external sites
                  Average web page now as big as DOOM:

The web is DOOM'd: Average page now as big as id's DOS classic • The Register
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                  X