• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks and hours worked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Care to give us a bank name?

I worked for Barclays Investment Management about 6 years ago as a permie and it was a good place to work until they stopped authorising projects for a couple of months leaving us with nothing to do but thumb twiddling.

The ones I have heard are bad are Natwest and RBOS

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      but it was a crappy Russian bank, so it does not count.
      Having been doing some EFT work in the workers paradise I just ask "is there any other kind?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        Care to give us a bank name?

I worked for Barclays Investment Management about 6 years ago as a permie and it was a good place to work until they stopped authorising projects for a couple of months leaving us with nothing to do but thumb twiddling.

The ones I have heard are bad are Natwest and RBOS
        It's not BarCap!

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
          Having been doing some EFT work in the workers paradise I just ask "is there any other kind?"
          I don't know where you work but mine was much worse, it was small bank though so no politics - about only good thing. Would never work for a bank again - any bank regardless of rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
            It's not BarCap!
            Investment Management was Barclays Private Clients, not Barclays Capital when I worked for them. Mind in a period of 3 months however there were endless reorganisations going on while I was there so it may be now...

Comment

Originally posted by christhedon
              1) How many hours do you tend to work a day in this environment as a contractor?
              2) If you happen to work more hours one day than you had expected, would you then work less hours another day?
              3) Do you tend to just work the hours that the permanent staff around you work?
              4) Is there some sort of unwritten etiquette about the above? I.e. a common theme accross all the main banks?
              1) I have an 8hr day on contract - but when we're up against a launch/deadline this ramps up. Once I did a 16.5hr day.
              2) Absolutely - just keep the management sweet and arrange it beforehand. After the 16.5 day I took 2 days off.
              3) Normally just 1 hour over the permies. When times are rough they're the ones outta the door saying 'I'm only 9 to 5 according to my standard working times etc'.
              4) You're expected to do the job. At the end of the day that's the only thing that matters to them. If you got a week's work done in a day, take 4 off, but call it 'working from home'.

Comment

Working...
              X