• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I dunno, but I'd pay for a Norwegian style relationship any day of the week.
    you won't get it, you are not Norway. norway never joined EU, thats one, it's way smaller (and not one of 2 biggest economies in europe), got only 5mln ppl, is one of the richest country in the world.
    EU will try to punish Britain for leaving ,as an example. So before things become OK again it will be good 10 years by which time we will be all worse off.
    Last edited by diseasex; 27 April 2016, 10:47.

Comment

Not interested, sorry.
      He likes not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        FFS.
        Yes with Brexit there would be no economic downside whatever and we'd soon become the richest country in the world..
        Not the point. You were sneering at the figure of £250 million a week compared to the the UK's overall expenditure. I just was illustrating that it is a meaningful sum to most.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          I accept the argument about a short-term economic cost, but I know a thing or two about mathematical modeling, and I simply don't buy any of these forecasts about long-term economic costs, because I broadly understand the models they are using. To begin with, there is no historical precedent, so the models are revealing only insofar as they introduce assumptions that connect outputs to inputs and model parameters. Unfortunately, the inputs are politically driven (e.g. 6% reduction in GDP or assumptions about trade barriers), and the outputs are rarely that useful to the average citizen (e.g. distributing GDP across households). Rubbish in, rubbish out. It's essentially a vehicle for propaganda, and I think the average voter understands that (they understand that these forecasts are typically very wrong, even months in advance for relatively well-understood variables, let alone for decades in advance and variables that are very poorly understood).

More fundamentally, it's very difficult to know how the UK would respond to a Brexit. In other words, it may be useful to explore scenarios, but these scenarios themselves are very difficult to quantify, and the models cannot account for the legislative response to Brexit or the future success/failure of the Eurozone, only relatively narrow (albeit uncertain) predictors, such as trade barriers. The models are structurally flawed. For example, what is the relative cost of EU legislation to SMEs and their ability to innovate vs. the benefits of existing market access over any new deal? How would we fare inside vs. outside the EU to a collapse of the Eurozone? There are too many unanswerable questions in the long-term.

However, I do completely agree that our strongest single argument is w/r to reduced immigration. The same OECD report points to a reduction in inward migration of 85,000 over the forecast period (equally debatable). The main difficulty with this argument, and why I think the Bremainers will win, is that it's a ~40% argument. It turns off almost as many undecided voters as it turns on. To get 50%+, a sufficient number of undecided voters need to be willing to sacrifice the short-term economic costs for self-determination and our long-term prospects, which cannot be modeled mathematically (credibly).
          That is brilliantly written and argued. Despite the rantings of the pro establishment lobby I base my own judgement on history and human behaviour. This suggests that the EU will eventually become an unaccountable superstate with no real democratic accountability that will simply exploit the people of Europe for the benefit of the rich and powerful.
          I hasten to add that as soon as I become a member of this group I will be voting "remain" and you plebs can keep paying me my 25%
          Last edited by DodgyAgent; 27 April 2016, 11:01.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            That is brilliantly written and argued. Despite the rantings of the pro establishment lobby I base my own judgement on history and human behaviour. This suggests that the EU will eventually become an unaccountable superstate with no real democratic accountability that will simply exploit the people of Europe for the benefit of the rich and powerful.
            And that's why you're voting "Remain".

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              And that's why you're voting "Remain".
              Just amended my post. My ambition is to join twatguru at the top of the establishment
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Just amended my post. My ambition is to join twatguru at the top of the establishment
                The "top of the establishment" has never had much of a requirement for brains, but even so, you don't make the cut. Sorry.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

The "top of the establishment" has never had much of a requirement for brains, but even so, you don't make the cut. Sorry.
                  Can I get in with some wit, gusto and a big dollop of Billy Bullshiit?

Comment

Whereas there will always be a job for aresewipers like you

Comment

Can I get in with some wit, gusto and a big dollop of Billy Bullshiit?
                      Correct, welcome to the club
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X