• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Won't somebody think of the children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    This is it. They want to keep all the mod cons, so they have kids and them leave them in the care of strangers for most of their waking life.

Dick move.
    You have permanent singleton written all over you, so for you the problem is moot.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      This forum is full of judgemental cretins with no imagination. Twas always thus.
      Welcome back.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Don't live in a 300k house. Problem solved.
        I think you might be suffering from the same problem that my mother in law has. They bought their house in 197x and it cost less than a smart car. They have spent the last 30 years surrounded by mildly professional people that earned "normal" wages but are now confused as to why everyone that is moving into the area seems to be in Law or investment banking. I will say the same thing to you, as I do to her. House prices are a direct reflection of the wealth that surrounds them. So when a couple tries to buy a house and 300k is the bottom of the market near their job then thats what they are going to have to pay.

I know there are plenty of peasants up north that can buy streets for a pound but meanwhile back in the south of England and in particular the west country where I live, we had some little new builds that went up at the bottom of our village that are on the market at £600k and are mostly filled up with new owners. We are not even in an exclusive area.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Average house price Jan 2016 for England and Wales: £191k

<snip>
          Property for sale in Walthamstow - Find flats and houses for sale in Walthamstow

I think the problem is you are relying on bolton to drag the average down quite a way but here is a particularly rough part of London and this is what they have for your average.

oh I know lets move out to the country because its much cheaper there...

Property for sale in Bradford-On-Avon - Find flats and houses for sale in Bradford-On-Avon

try again...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            I know there are plenty of peasants up north that can buy streets for a pound
            Citation needed.

Those that did the "buy one get one free" deal in Salford not so long ago did quite well out of it, AIUI.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Houses are very cheap where there's no work. Problem solved! - both parents can stay at home with all the time in the world to raise their children.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Citation needed.

Those that did the "buy one get one free" deal in Salford not so long ago did quite well out of it, AIUI.
                Goes back a few years though

Empty houses for sale for £1 in Britain's cheapest street | Daily Mail Online

Comment

A few years ago, my house was worth a lot less too.

So - anything that supports your assertion that "there are plenty of peasants up north that can buy streets for a pound"?

(I like how that article also equates the starting price of an auction as the total value of the property)
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Property for sale in Walthamstow - Find flats and houses for sale in Walthamstow

I think the problem is you are relying on bolton to drag the average down quite a way but here is a particularly rough part of London and this is what they have for your average.

oh I know lets move out to the country because its much cheaper there...

Property for sale in Bradford-On-Avon - Find flats and houses for sale in Bradford-On-Avon

try again...
                    Ah yes, Bradford-On-Avon. Take the On-Avon bit off and try again.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Ah yes, Bradford-On-Avon. Take the On-Avon bit off and try again.
                      and you would move there to start a family why?

Comment

Working...
                      X