• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed which lawn mower

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Yo Fandango,

if I get a ride on shall I get it with the grass collector or chuck it out the side ?

Does that thing leave lines of grass cuttings across the lawn

Milan.
    Mine came with the grass collector (sorry original pic were just stock off internet) you don't want to be doing it by hand!

Mines like this

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      How does this cope if you have flat flagstones in the garden, similar to the ones in your picture?
      Have a similar sized garden, how long does it take?
      I get a gardener in periodically and he costs a fortune so thinking of doing it myself.
      Does flag stones no problem, you have adjustable height settings and you can engage/disengage blades at will

probably takes about 20 mins, depending on length of grass the hoppers need emptying a couple of times per cut but there's 2 boxes so they're not too heavy to carry and chuck in wheelie bin/compost

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post

probably takes about 20 mins, depending on length of grass the hoppers need emptying a couple of times per cut but there's 2 boxes so they're not too heavy to carry and chuck in wheelie bin/compost
        No way could you cut 1/2 acre in 20 mins on that. You'd spend 20 mins emptying the grass box alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          I've got a Zero turn recycler mower with a 50 inch deck with which I mow about 2 acres, the remaining acres animals graze on. Zero turns are about 2 times faster than the old style sit on and cope with inclines more easily plus it mulches so no grass collection and it fertilizes the grass.
          How does it cope when the grass is wet? My 50 incher mulches and can also collect. When it's wet I have to collect otherwise I end up with piles of cut grass behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
            No way could you cut 1/2 acre in 20 mins on that. You'd spend 20 mins emptying the grass box alone.
            I agree. It takes me at least 30 minutes to mulch my half acre paddock and my deck is bigger than the OPs. If I was collecting and emptying, that would add another 15-20 minutes to that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              How does it cope when the grass is wet? My 50 incher mulches and can also collect. When it's wet I have to collect otherwise I end up with piles of cut grass behind me.
              I dont tend to mow if too wet as a/it uses more petrol and b/ I have a few 40 deg slopes to cut sliding down them wouldnt end well. If it does leave any clumps they soon compost. I've had it about 3 yrs though and it's coped with everything I've thrown at it. A standard machine would be dead by now. And wouldnt cut all my land without tipping over or stalling every 5 mins.
              Last edited by ZARDOZ; 15 March 2016, 16:25.

Comment

AtW's lawn mower

Comment

MF's Lawn mower

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Get a sheep.
                    The deluxe version....

Comment

good we've got enough people here with tractor mowers

ok experts

Shall I buy new or second hand ?

Pro's and Con's... new, I will be the only owner, I will hopefully have the thing for ever, and know its history

second hand, saves a fortune, but could be a financial disaster when things stop working

What make shall I buy ?

Shall I go for a no-name from the local DIY place, or shall I get branded ? Branded, which one, John Deere, Honda, Kubota, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Yard Man etc ?

Size of deck ?

I will need to cut an acre and a 1/4, thinking that anything less than 48" won't be worth bothering

Price Limit ?

These things aint cheap, and basic Honda's and John Deeres cost around 4k gbp :-(

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X