• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dreaded Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a similar situation and put a stupid salary figure together (less than 140k though). I didn't want to go perm.

The sticking point was I said I only wanted to work 3 weeks out of every 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
      I am going to ignore him until he says piss off or here is your extension i think
      I agree with that. Its not good to be confrontational. Best to get as many extensions as you can.

There are worse questions. Like when my divorce lawyer says "When will you pay my bill"? Or Your wife asks "You do know MF is the father?".

Comment

Would you go perm? Even for a few years?
        What sort of money would you need/want to keep building the warchest?
        If he's talking perm, you're going to be in danger of edging towards inside IR35.
        If you want a car, include a car in the package.
        Why not use the perm calculator on here to put a few numbers through and see if it's worth it?
        While you're owned a fair bit more as a perm, you still have the right to put your foot down.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

i threw a number out there i turned down (i didnt) of 140k but i dont think he heard it. If he asks me again i will start at 160 and wait for him to faint
          Why not just say no thanks and end the conversation there ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Because he'll likely think "you awkward chunt" and no more renewals. I know contractors who have been in discussion for years, all whilst invoicing and renewing as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              I said i was happy contracting etc etc but he wasnt listening as he didnt get the answer he wanted. If there is no extension i am very relaxed

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Because he'll likely think "you awkward chunt" and no more renewals. I know contractors who have been in discussion for years, all whilst invoicing and renewing as a contractor.
                Yes i admit this played a part i must admit. I have considered playing the ask me after the next extension game but i admit i have never done that before

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Would you go perm? Even for a few years?
                  What sort of money would you need/want to keep building the warchest?
                  If he's talking perm, you're going to be in danger of edging towards inside IR35.
                  If you want a car, include a car in the package.
                  Why not use the perm calculator on here to put a few numbers through and see if it's worth it?
                  While you're owned a fair bit more as a perm, you still have the right to put your foot down.
                  I would go perm for the right package that would allow me to continue with my lifestyle and plans but have to be the right place, i dont this is it

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I agree with that. Its not good to be confrontational. Best to get as many extensions as you can.

There are worse questions. Like when my divorce lawyer says "When will you pay my bill"? Or Your wife asks "You do know MF is the father?".
                    What do you mean its last orders?
                    How can there be none left?

Comment

Yes i admit this played a part i must admit. I have considered playing the ask me after the next extension game but i admit i have never done that before
                      Just keep stalling. Say you need to talk to your accountant, who is on a 3 month round the world cruise, and then ask about each benefit they will provide, ask for the small print to read. Then come back with a different counter offer.

Then do it all again after a renewal.

Comment

Working...
                      X