• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Off shore costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post

Everytime i start a gig at new place, they always have a project about to be undertaken by some indian outfit
    I have the noticed the same in every contract recently. Even highly secretive swiss banks where storage of data outside Switzerland is illegal for the local banks have started offshoring circumventing the rules. IT industry employment is shrinking in size and will continue to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Had a contract a few years ago for a major US IT firm
      Senior salesforce.com technical architect US or Eur based $900 pd
      India based $9 per day (+ paracetamol $0.10 per day for any headache this causes)

(All internal staff)
      That presumes you know the actual number of Indian staff on your project off-shore.

They use smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that they have just lost a load of staff who just walked down the road and got a better paying job, so don't have enough people to staff the projects they have. Obviously this fails if the clientco is intelligent enough to hire a British male who speaks one their languages and keeps popping over there.

I've worked alongside some of the intra-company transfer people including one who worked for an employer I worked for. The employer was not very nice to us but treated the Bobs, who were our replacements,like complete dirt. Luckily the guy escaped.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sue Ellen has it spot on I worked for a fairly huge IT company and I absolutely loathed any form of off shore engagement.
        The worst was handovers where UK based teams were effectively making themselves redundant which was quite common a few years ago.

It often meant by the time things went tits up no one over here was left to sort it out.

It was often a case of, after doing an extensive and well documented handover to an offshore team, that a client would find out sometimes only a matter of weeks later that there had been a total churn of offshore staff. To the point all the knowledge transfer had been lost and as for those teams referring to, and updating the documentation if they could find it...........

To be honest it is imho better now but 10 - 15 years ago it was not funny at all.
        So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
        X