• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More pensions doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Just bin currency and give people what they need to live. This capitalist experiment has gone on long enough.
    You really are thick as mince
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      You really are thick as mince
      https://www.thersa.org/discover/publ...-income-model/

Comment

Yes I'm aware of the lefty argument for a universal basic income.
        There's a reason why no country has tried it wholesale.
        On the whole do you think it would make us more or less competitive?
        But nothing the left proposes surprises me any more - I've read a book where an educated lefty suggested we just print money and hand it out (this is quite a bit different from the helicopter money theory which has been proposed in an extreme deflationary scenario).
        Again there's a reason why no serious economy has ever tried it.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It was going well in the 1980s. Then John Major and Badger Lamont took over.

They started the grab from pension pots via ACT. Labour completed the process.

Now we are all encouraged to spend to keep the economy going. To assume that ZIRP will continue forever.
          And that was with booming North Sea Oil and the privatisation of our national infrastructure.

Just what the flaming **** did the Tories spend it all on?
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            And that was with booming North Sea Oil and the privatisation of our national infrastructure.

Just what the flaming **** did the Tories spend it all on?
            Riot shields, tax havens, prostitutes and duck houses.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Riot shields, tax havens, prostitutes and duck houses.
              [emoji106]🏽

Comment

But nothing the left proposes surprises me any more - I've read a book where an educated lefty suggested we just print money and hand it out (this is quite a bit different from the helicopter money theory which has been proposed in an extreme deflationary scenario).
                And this is different from our existing shared delusion, how? What exactly is the provision of additional credit to bail out banks but "printing money?" Other than it being electronic I can't see it. If we work together with other nations to open the taps it's less illusory somehow?

@Prawny Nice solution if anyone wants to buy your house - still a gamble, regardless of whether the assets are physical.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  It was going well in the 1980s. Then John Major and Badger Lamont took over.

They started the grab from pension pots via ACT. Labour completed the process.

Now we are all encouraged to spend to keep the economy going. To assume that ZIRP will continue forever.
                  The talking of rate rises is bollux, they are trying to position the markets not to rely on stimulus, but only a moron would believe in rate rises.

ZIRP won't last forever though. It will be replaced by NIRP and mega QE.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    The talking of rate rises is bollux, they are trying to position the markets not to rely on stimulus, but only a moron would believe in rate rises.

ZIRP won't last forever though. It will be replaced by NIRP and mega QE.
                    I agree.

Comment

Yes I'm aware of the lefty argument for a universal basic income.
                      There's a reason why no country has tried it wholesale.
                      On the whole do you think it would make us more or less competitive?
                      Today there is little need as most of the world has some form of way to make money. In fact we have built a society based on employment and capitalism but we are rapidly moving toward a place where the top 1% won't need the other 99%. In fact they will be looking to reduce the number of people in the 1% as well. When they wanted to reduce labour strengths they used outsourcing to destroy wage growth. When they finally get the nirvana of machine intelligence do you think they will waste their time on outsourcing to some undeveloped country? I don't. So the only options coming down the line is a massive fight or some way to pacify millions of now economically useless humans...

the fact that it has not happened yet isn't the argument to say it never will.

Comment

Working...
                      X