• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's happened to "Horizon"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I thought the guy presenting it did drop a few good lines in it. But the point I was making was, if you make it like an Open University programme, you will only get hardcore geeks watching it. You have to dumb it down to attract a bigger audience
    I don't think you need to dumb it down, while much of the viewing public see Big Brother and I'm a nobody get me on camera as the hight of their viewing week these same people will have no interest in a science (well except for sociology folks but then they are strange anyway).

Dumb it down too much and you alienate your core audience.

Comment

The programme was made with chimps in mind. There's no point making a film about chimps, if the chimps themselves are going to find it difficult to grasp.

What do the monkeys' opinion on this board? I suppose you felt left out?

Comment

"The programme was made with chimps in mind."

Well I quite liked it - I saw it not realising it was horizon and thougt it was more of a programme along the lines of the one where the guy wanted to turn his house into a republic (an idea I had way before the TV prog came about).

From an entertainment point I thought it was ok with some funny lines.

From a science point of view it has a slight bit about animal behaviour, but not much else. Still I thought it was ok. I guess that makes me a chip then. Mind out what I show you my @rse while I chew on this banana.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Horizon was worth watching in the 70's and 80's but dummed down when it went after the american market.

Last one I actually remember enjoying was Harry Kroto and C60. Had the pleasure of a term's seminars on astro-chemistry from him. His enthusiasm for his subject was infectious. Horizon needs to present more 'hard science' programmes featuring men and women who love their work.

Richard Feynman rules!

Comment

In addition to the dumbed down content, the thing I also find annoying is the over-use of incidental music... every sentence has to have a musical accompaniment which builds up to a crescendo and then repeats ad-infinitum.

Very distracting…

Mind you I caught The Romans on BBC last night for the 1st time... I could not believe it possible to make such a collection of dross.
            I had to keep watching in the hope that it couldn't get anyworse & must improve..

it did & it didn't
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Xogg would have liked the arse on that bonobo...
              hehe..good one.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                A good question.

Tuesday's prog was one of the most tedious I've dozed through...

"Are chimps human?"

As narrated by some know nothing non scientific goon.

Who apparently smells like a chimp on the T shirt test.
                We need more Horizons like this one; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074206/

Comment

Tuesday's episode about the Robot Cars was rather good, in its way, compared with earlier progs.

Still a bit lightweight though.

Comment

Was that the one with the monkey being trained to use a joystick to play "pong" with and they had his brain wired up to another joystick that was being driven by his brainwaves and suddenly, he let go of the joystick and just watched the screen and the second joystick carried on moving playing the "pong" game?
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Was that the one sponsored by Wipro...?
                      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                      X