• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts are like buses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    He is just massively insecure and needs propping up by anons on a **** board.
    Last edited by administrator; 18 November 2015, 10:01.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      So two weeks ago I had no contract having been told by client that the end was nigh. Two weeks of speaking to agents, getting fed the usual crap, and slowly resigning myself to a few weeks off before xmas at the very least.

Monday, client has change of heart and asks me if I want to stay for 2 months minimum (3 month extension). Yesterday morning I get a request for an interview for two other gigs (one local crap money, one slightly more same distance).

Since current client has not finalised the extension yet, current plan is to attend both these interviews on a 'just in case' basis. Good plan?
      The best way to improve your daily rate is not to apply for contracts for crap rate, if an agent offers you a crap rate, just say no.

Over time it works, I have agent call me saying "I have a role for you, I have other crap I know you would not be interested"

But then you have to wow the client over the phone, that they just give the agent a start date.

You arrive day one, even if you don't have access to the systems, you read the docs. You start writing your documentation.

Next time the agent has a good role he will call you, less work for him.

You need to be professional before people treat you as a professional.

HTH
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        The best way to improve your daily rate is not to apply for contracts for crap rate, if an agent offers you a crap rate, just say no.

Over time it works, I have agent call me saying "I have a role for you, I have other crap I know you would not be interested"

But then you have to wow the client over the phone, that they just give the agent a start date.

You arrive day one, even if you don't have access to the systems, you read the docs. You start writing your documentation.

Next time the agent has a good role he will call you, less work for him.

You need to be professional before people treat you as a professional.

HTH
        Fortunate enough to have a good relationship with a few decent pimps who work in my area. They know what sort of level to pitch to me at and don't waste my time.

BUT, you still get the ones who find your CV on Jobserve.

Saying that though, my rate range reduces greatly for local gigs. My time is worth more than money to me.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Psychocandy is currently:-

1) In contract and paying full whack of tax and NI like a permie.
          2) In contract, abusing the system and paying as little tax as is possible.
          3) Claiming JSA because I can. (Not since Nov 2013)
          4) Don't know if to change contract or not and need to ask random people what's best for him

FTFY

Comment

Psychocandy is currently:-

1) In contract and paying full whack of tax and NI like a permie.
            2) In contract, abusing the system and paying as little tax as is possible.
            3) Claiming JSA because I can. (Not since Nov 2013)
            4) Not getting any from the wife and needs to get laid ASAP, FFS
            FTFY

Comment

Working...
            X