• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving Through France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    When you get back to Calais, you may find some friendly, foreign looking, gentlemen asking for a lift to England. Be helpful and squeeze as many of them in to your car as you can.
    Indeed. Forget 'saving' money filling up on cheap petrol, why not 'make' money instead. Don't know what the UK based Romanians and Bulgarians are meant to be charging, but start high is my advice...you'll know when you start undercutting.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Well I drove to the UK via Calais a few weeks ago when Operation Stack was running and I saw bugger all in Calais, no delays and in fact we got an earlier train. Once over the other side it was clear sailing although the M20 was one massive lorry park. Driving back a couple of days later, the lorry park was gone and we managed to, once again, get an earlier train so I don't know what all the fuss is about.
      Exactly our experience three weeks ago/last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        I'm on the Ile de Ré Saturday and Sunday night...

Often thought about getting a MoHo. What do you have?
        I have an old Hymer B544 - small enough to squeeze into supermarkets and normal parking spaces, but big enough to for two to live quite comfortably for a week or two, drop down bed is excellent, leave it made up but shove it out of the way.

Went to look at upgrading to a newer model this summer, but I find the newer ones a bit cheap and plasticky; nowhere near the quality of the "classics" so decided to keep the old faithful.

France is motorhome heaven; where it might cost 30-40 euros to park a car somewhere for a day, the MoHo is usually free on the aires for a couple of days, max five to ten euros including electricity, fresh water, and sewage disposal.

Ile de Ré rocks.

Comment

Working...
        X