• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
    firstly, this does sound like a party political broadcast from IPSE.

Secondly, yes I did two weeks a few years back.

I had two cases during my time. 1 for 2 days and the other one lasted 1 day.

There was a murder case, where they look for volunteers to sit as they state it may last for 6-8 weeks, they don't force you to sit on long cases.

And if you were selected, the judge will also ask if you can sit for extended dates as he also doesn't want people there who cant spare the time.

if you are not on a case, you call up a number at 4pm to see if you are needed the following day, sometimes your juror number is not needed. I also took laptop and worked from the juror café a lot fo the time (no wifi, used a GSM dongle)

hope this helps
    Hi Tykey

Comment

Thanks pr1 - very informative answer, just what I was looking for.

Comment

Surely a bout of politically incorrect tourettes upon arriving would solve most problems?

I would list options here but if i get banned I'd have no idea what to do other than client work during the day....
        Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
          Surely a bout of politically incorrect tourettes upon arriving would solve most problems?

I would list options here but if i get banned I'd have no idea what to do other than client work during the day....
          You could always try this approach to get yourself excused!

Comment

Had to attend service the other month, was only needed in for 4 days.

During my time there I did get on one case, of which a young lady(one of the juries) turned up 5 minutes late...the judge politely asked why she was late, her reply "I was in a queue to buy a dress" turned out not to be acceptable and was fined the cost of the dress!

The lesson is, when asked how much your purchase cost go for a lower price!!

Comment

Working...
            X