• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tank found in working order after 57 years underwater

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earlier than that even. Speer observes that the most difficult time he faced (and, yes, his book Inside the Third Reich is most excellent and highly recommended by me also) was after the bombing of the ball bearing factories in 1943. This almost shut down German tank production and only the fact that the attack was not followed up saved the day (from the German point of view).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      One effect would have been the extension of the war in Europe past August 6th 1945... and we all know what happened on that day.
      Quite right. Ken Norton, future heavyweight boxing champ was born on that day.

Comment

Yes ball bearing is a good example - but he was reliefed that Allies did not continue on this strategy, it was a one off raid on the plant, and only in 1944 this purposeful policy was restarted.

Meanwhile Germany's war production was increasing and reached it's peak in 1944, so allied bombings really did not do anywhere as near as they could have done at the time when it mattered most - 1941 and 1942, or even 1943. In 1944 second front was open, so effectiveness of bombings was no longer strategic anymore.

Comment

Not only that, but Keith Miller scored 110 in the 4 Victory Test Cricket at Lord's. Oh yes, 6th August 1945, truly a great day in world sport.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Yes ball bearing is a good example - but he was reliefed that Allies did not continue on this strategy, it was a one off raid on the plant, and only in 1944 this purposeful policy was restarted.

Meanwhile Germany's war production was increasing and reached it's peak in 1944, so allied bombings really did not do anywhere as near as they could have done at the time when it mattered most - 1941 and 1942, or even 1943. In 1944 second front was open, so effectiveness of bombings was no longer strategic anymore.
            The effectiveness was largely secondary in nature I think. Many resources were diverted into air defence and so on.

It is well known that German fighter production actually increased in 1944. But how much more would it have increased by had the bombing not continued? Besides, without the millions of troops the Soviets had at their disposal, there wasn't much else the western allies could do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              It is well known that German fighter production actually increased in 1944. But how much more would it have increased by had the bombing not continued?
              If Speer says the truth (and all seems to point to it) then Allied bombings until 1944 were not really a problem, and actually helped prolong the war because of civilian casualties making population raid along current leader, whoever he is.

The right strategy was to bomb, but focus on specific plants in supply chain like that ball bearing plant. I'd say at the time real war was in Atlantic against u-boats anyway, the rest was just noise to keep air branch busy.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                It was pretty cool stuff though (and still is very collectable).

I loved the old Zorki Cameras, which were rather basic Leica copies. Pretty good optics though, and cheap as chips in the 1970s. Had a couple of different model bodies and lenses but flogged them all to buy an Olympus OM1 when I went to uni. A pity really.
                Hah! My acquisitiveness overpowers even my stinginess, so I still have the Zorki and the OM1. Both classics, and both still a pleasure to use, and good optics (though I gather that the individual Zorki's quality was a function of the vodka supply that day).

Comment

Working...
                X