• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£30K to invest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
    Wellesley, repay mortgage – Any other options?

I am single, happy with my car, remainder in the war chest, so no significant expenditure is on the cards…….
    Women like nice teeth. Invest in a full set of cosmetic veneers. There's your £30K gone like that!

Comment

I don't get the Wellesley reference

OK, Wellesley peer to peer lending
      Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 27 July 2015, 19:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
        I don't get the Wellesley reference
        Wellesley offers around 7%, but if the lender defaults potentially I could lose all of my money as not protected. Hence the gambling reference

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Women like nice teeth. Invest in a full set of cosmetic veneers. There's your £30K gone like that!
          WHS

Comment

Depends -
            1. Can you guarantee you don't need it for 10 years ??
            2. Can you guarantee you can hold your nerve during the next bear market (potential 50% loss if you bottle it and sell) ?

If yes to both, consider Vanguard Lifestrategy fund (Very diversified global investments, very low fee index fund, make sure you go through a discount broker) 100% shares if you can look at least 10 years ahead. Maybe go 80% shares/20% bonds to benefit from auto-rebalancing.
            TRY to chuck a bit more in each month if poss (benefit from PCA)
            Fire and forget, thank me in 15 years.....

Monevator.com is your friend for some detail/easy explanations of why.

Comment

Sas just buy another eco-shed okay?

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                Depends -
                1. Can you guarantee you don't need it for 10 years ??
                2. Can you guarantee you can hold your nerve during the next bear market (potential 50% loss if you bottle it and sell) ?

If yes to both, consider Vanguard Lifestrategy fund (Very diversified global investments, very low fee index fund, make sure you go through a discount broker) 100% shares if you can look at least 10 years ahead. Maybe go 80% shares/20% bonds to benefit from auto-rebalancing.
                TRY to chuck a bit more in each month if poss (benefit from PCA)
                Fire and forget, thank me in 15 years.....

Monevator.com is your friend for some detail/easy explanations of why.
                Generally good advice, although I am not a fan of bonds, and Vanguard don't seem to do a 100% equities Lifestrategy fund.

I personally invest in Vanguard ETF's very low cost, fully invested etc. they have a wide range covering the whole world so with £30K you can invest via an online broker.

Reinvest the dividends and top up if you can. Obviously use your ISA allowance each year as this will protect you from capital gains and any further increases on dividend taxation.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Vanguard LifeStrategy 100% Equity Accumulation Fund | Fund price & information

Yeah they do 100%. I am all over the etf's too but I wouldn't put a new investor onto them, I would advise them to keep it ultra simple.

Comment

Working...
                  X