• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

After Osbourne's attack on IT contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    The M6 toll road seems to be doing ok, no need for means testing their. If you can't afford to pay there is the proles M6
    Company behind M6 toll is losing money every year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Not in percentage terms.
      Of course. For it to be fair the rich man buying the ferrarri should only be paying about 1 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Of course. For it to be fair the rich man buying the ferrarri should only be paying about 1 percent.
        How about 0 tax? Now that's fair, can't fairer than that surely? The car factory already pays taxes on employment, on profits.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Company behind M6 toll is losing money every year.
          Shareholders of the Chunnel lost loads for years....

One reason why most transport infrastructure is maintained and/or controlled by the government.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Once again, anyone who thinks these attacks on travel & subsistance are not going to happen (its only a discussion document!), are going to be in for a rude awakening. It will happen and contractors will find it very tough to legitimately claim these expenses.

Like lots of contractors who dont live in London or one of the cities, I have to travel upto an hour or more for contract roles. That's expensive. But, Ive little inclination to return to permiedom plus, being a contractor and nearing 60, no doubt Id find two obvious forms of discrimination put in my way if I did (age and contractor).

So, I guess I'll have to take it on the chin and be 'worse off' thanks to the tulips in government. I suppose I would have to look into the obviously IR35 caught contracts that are on offer nearer to my location if they pay a decent rate but then again given the tulip you have to complete for crapita when applying, I dont know whether I should.

Perhaps I just claim every ******* bit of benefit I can when Im between jobs instead of paying myself out of the company and look to take my civil service pension earlier than intended?

At least I can console myself to the fact I didnt vote the bastards in but its very little comfort. The party of business and self promotion? Yeah, **** off.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Once again, anyone who thinks these attacks on travel & subsistance are not going to happen (its only a discussion document!), are going to be in for a rude awakening. It will happen and contractors will find it very tough to legitimately claim these expenses.

Like lots of contractors who dont live in London or one of the cities, I have to travel upto an hour or more for contract roles. That's expensive. But, Ive little inclination to return to permiedom plus, being a contractor and nearing 60, no doubt Id find two obvious forms of discrimination put in my way if I did (age and contractor).

So, I guess I'll have to take it on the chin and be 'worse off' thanks to the tulips in government. I suppose I would have to look into the obviously IR35 caught contracts that are on offer nearer to my location if they pay a decent rate but then again given the tulip you have to complete for crapita when applying, I dont know whether I should.

Perhaps I just claim every ******* bit of benefit I can when Im between jobs instead of paying myself out of the company and look to take my civil service pension earlier than intended?

At least I can console myself to the fact I didnt vote the bastards in but its very little comfort. The party of business and self promotion? Yeah, **** off.
              it's (as in it is)
              I've (as in I have)
              I'd (as in I would)
              don't (as in do not)
              I'm (as in I am)
              didn't (as in did not)

Mate, you can't spell for tulip, get a permie job in a secondary school or something.
              Last edited by AtW; 16 July 2015, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Is NHS not a welfare state benefit? Are prescriptions?

Why is the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills providing advice for companies in regard to capital controls in Greece? Can't businesses pay for their own advice?

Is the Animal and Plant Health Agency a welfare state department? Isn't it important to the welfare of the citizenry?
                In short, something that you personally receive is a benefit. Something that the government does for the good of the country is not a benefit, it's the government doing its job.

The distinction is already recognised, for example in some vaccinations being free and some not: if it's mainly for your own health then you have to pay for it, but shots that are important more from a public health point of view (to keep diseases out of the country) are free.

Comment

Like lots of contractors who dont live in London or one of the cities, I have to travel upto an hour or more for contract roles. That's expensive.
                  You are aware that people who live in London and the SE have the longest commute times?

You are aware that the average time is an hour?

So you whining about having a commute time of an hour or more doesn't cut it with over a 6th of the UK population. This includes teenage school children, and now due to lack of school places some primary ones as well, who by law have to go to school.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good post Bolshie. I'd take that Civil Service pension as soon as you can and claim any and all benefits going. Loot as much as you can before the ship sinks. Everyone else is doing it....

Won't be rushing into permie-dom here but would like to be out of contracting before my next financial year end in May.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      You are aware that people who live in London and the SE have the longest commute times?

You are aware that the average time is an hour?

So you whining about having a commute time of an hour or more doesn't cut it with over a 6th of the UK population. This includes teenage school children, and now due to lack of school places some primary ones as well, who by law have to go to school.
                      Yeah and why exactly is the country short of school places?

Comment

Working...
                      X