• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best option for currency when in Europe.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I use option 4 now. a card for cash machines.

I tried every other option under the sun, but for reliability and convenience, it's number 4
    It shouldn't be an issue in Italy, but just came back from Greece, and while the withdrawal limits don't apply to foreign cards, most ATMs are empty due to locals withdrawing all they can (via aunties, grandfathers etc)
    In the end I did manage to find a non-empty ATM, but you don't want to spend your holidays chasing ATMs.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      It shouldn't be an issue in Italy, but just came back from Greece, and while the withdrawal limits don't apply to foreign cards, most ATMs are empty due to locals withdrawing all they can (via aunties, grandfathers etc)
      In the end I did manage to find a non-empty ATM, but you don't want to spend your holidays chasing ATMs.
      True. but that's an unusual situation.

In other news, I was up in jockland recently and they have the five pound note printed on plastic, which is good. I guess the Euro will follow a similar path and be printed on grease-proof paper

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I work in Europe a lot and use a pre-filled 'credit card' and draw while over there.

I got a Euro myTravelCash card as it was top of the best buy tables at the time, you could always check the tables now.

I try to top it up when exchange rates are better, and spend it as I go along. I have spent most of the last few months flying in and out and have only spent about 20 euros cash (a taxi, I was in a hurry) and all the rest from canteen, hotels, shops etc all accept the myTravelCash card.

You can top it up from anywhere with a Sterling Switch card. You get cashback percentage which can work out quite a lot if you are running up big expense bills.

Its a lot cheaper than using Sterling cards for routine purchases.

Comment

Working...
        X