• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have we done the incipient mini ice age?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nonsense. Hansens computer model predicted an ice age by 2030
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      If Hansen is as good at predicting climate change as he is predicting football results, I think we can discount it.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        If Hansen is as good at predicting climate change as he is predicting football results, I think we can discount it.

Not many people know about the 'Climate world cup' footie match that was held in Copenhagen a few years ago.
        The climate alarmists scored early, then predicted a steady increase in goals. 'one goal in five minutes means 18 goals to nil' predicted the pundit pj 'grapher' Clarke.
        The sceptics made great runs down the field because the alarmists had too many players on the left wing, they scored and then the alarmists went down to ten men when the captain, m mann was sent off for bringing a fake hockey stick onto the pitch.
        There was a quiet period up to the full time whistle.
        With the score line at 1-1 , the alarmists were ecstatic. 'I have a link here showing that at 18-0 ,all our predictions were spot on' - grapher Clarke.
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

You mean Rasool & Schneider (1971)? The paper that applied Hansen's mie-scattering equations that he developed for the atmosphere of Venus and speculated what might happen would happen if Earthly airborne aerosol levels increased by a factor of 4?

'Hansen's' climate model was not developed for another decade or more. Neither it nor he have ever predicted cooling. I know this because he said so

...it was a bit of a surprise when I began to be inundated a few days ago with reports that I had issued proclamations five years earlier, in 1971, that the Earth was headed into an ice age. Here is how this swift-boating works. First on 19 September 2007 a Washington Times article by John McCaslin reported that a 9 July 1971 article by Victor Cohn in the Washington Post had been discovered with the title “U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming”. The scientist, S.I. Rasool, is reported as saying that the world “could be as little as 50 or 60 years away from a disastrous new ice age”. This is an old story: Rasool and (Steve) Schneider published a paper in Science on that day noting that if human-made aerosols (small particles in the air) increased by a factor of four, other things being equal, they could cause massive global cooling. At Steve’s 60th birthday celebration I argued that the Rasool and Schneider paper was a useful scientific paper, an example of hypothesis testing, in the spirit of good science. But what is the news today? Mr. McCaslin reported that Rasool and Hansen were colleagues at NASA and “Mr. Rasool came to his chilling conclusions by resorting in part to a new computer program developed by Mr. Hansen that studied clouds above Venus.” What was that program? It was a ‘Mie scattering’ code I had written to calculate light scattering by spherical particles. Indeed, it was useful for Venus studies, as it helped determine the size and refractive index of the particles in the clouds that veil the surface of Venus. I was glad to let Rasool and Schneider use that program to calculate scattering by aerosols. But Mie scattering functions, although more complex, are like sine and cosine mathematical functions, simply a useful tool for many problems. Allowing this scattering function to be used by other people does not in any way make me responsible for a climate theory. Yet as this story passes from one swift boater to another it gets juicier and juicier .

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailin...randfather.pdf

Don't believe everything you read in the press, or if you do, don't call yourself a 'sceptic'.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Not many people know about the 'Climate world cup' footie match that was held in Copenhagen a few years ago.
            The climate alarmists scored early, then predicted a steady increase in goals. 'one goal in five minutes means 18 goals to nil' predicted the pundit pj 'grapher' Clarke.
            The sceptics made great runs down the field because the alarmists had too many players on the left wing, they scored and then the alarmists went down to ten men when the captain, m mann was sent off for bringing a fake hockey stick onto the pitch.
            With the score line at 1-1 , the alarmists were ecstatic. 'I have a link here showing that at 18-0 ,all our predictions were spot on' - grapher Clarke.

You have a bit of a gift for fiction, you should keep it up.

Oh, I see you already did.

Comment

I suppose I could point out that you missed the bit where the organisers of the match declared the actual result null and void and went with the projected results as that better represented the truth they wanted to show.

In a graph

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                You have a bit of a gift for fiction, you should keep it up.
                do something useful. go and plant a tree
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

do something useful. go and plant a tree
                  I might. Meanwhile, could you please mark which of your posts are intended as entertaining fiction and which are reality-based?

It's not always clear.

Comment

In other news, no one can be saddened by this. it's been a great year for polar bears.
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

In other news, no one can be saddened by this. it's been a great year for polar bears.
                      No, you're looking at it the wrong way. It is deeply sad news as many more cuddly polar bears will now die due to global warming.

Comment

Working...
                      X