• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Timer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You lot sound very well disciplined, whatever happened to spending half your life drinking champagne, perusing autotrader for 911's and holidaying in the Maldives... and then the other half pleading bloody poverty?

Well that's my experience of contracting so far.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
      You lot sound very well disciplined, whatever happened to spending half your life drinking champagne, perusing autotrader for 911's and holidaying in the Maldives... and then the other half pleading bloody poverty?

Well that's my experience of contracting so far.

I shall continue to live the toxic bachelor lifestyle while I can.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

It would be rude not to.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
          "3 - Company takes 20 minutes - a few days to setup (I use managed limited from SJD), get the contract first."

How does this differ from a normal Ltd company? Is it like a composite?
          TE, It's a normal Ltd company, not a composite. They do all the admin, payroll, company docs etc etc. Not cheap though (120/month). But I hated doing all that stuff so it's worth it to me to take the grief away.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

Will do a bit more research then come back to you all.

Ben

Comment

Why not work under a brolly to start with only costs bout £25-30 per week and no hassle with accountants and such like. Then if you want set up your own company. See if it's for you like contracting first it's not everyones idea of fun.

Comment

A decent brolly like Brooksons is probably a good way to start. Ltd Co can be in your hand in 3 hrs - google for company formation, but if its all new to you, get an accountant to help.

Biggest problem is that notice period. NO-one is going to wait 4 weeks for a 'tractor to start, but I can understand if your nervous. Start applying for jobserve roles, and see if you get a response. They'll tell you to get lost when you tell them about the notice period, but at least you'll know if there will be offers.

Oh, and as a newbie, expect agencies to take the proverbial with rates.
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Brookson are a composite not a brolly
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Whatever, I'm not a user myself. Does the trick though, and I hear good things from those who do.
                    World's Best Martini

Comment

Except that the IR have composites on their radar.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X