• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who here uses OSS for serious work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've made a small fortune with OSS, particularly Linux, PHP and MySQL.

It generally works best for people who aren't technologically oriented as everyone else wants you to do Microsoft stuff. The end result is the same, so I don't see what the problem is.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      How does OpenOffice deal with MS Office documents these days, or are you lucky enough to not have to deal with the evil that is.....
      I never have a problem personally. Though I don't have any documents that have large amounts of VBA macros or stuff like that in them.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
        I've made a small fortune with OSS, particularly Linux, PHP and MySQL.

It generally works best for people who aren't technologically oriented as everyone else wants you to do Microsoft stuff. The end result is the same, so I don't see what the problem is.
        I've made a huge fortune.

threaded
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

It was word douments that had lots of tables and index pages and such that always seemed to get thier formatting screwed up for me, or excel spreadsheets that had lots of drop down lists and stuff like that.

The basic stuff always worked fine. I have always blamed MS personally

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
            i like fireworks for quick web graphics

OSS has never been my bag.. too many pipe smoking virgins hating windows and giving tulip info for my liking....hard to get anywhere with it.
            Yup, that's been my experience on the whole. The geeks who develop this stuff tend to assume that everyone who uses it will have as much commitment to it as the authors, not to mention a train-spotter memory and liking for a vast assortment of fussy details, and in many cases the patience and dedication to study code in lieu of non-existent manuals and struggle with obscure Unix admin and setup issues which they assume everyone must find as effortless to deal with as them. If these guys sold cars, they'd deliver them in about ten pieces with a few missing or the wrong size.

Recently I've found the same even with Java: Tried to install the Java Run-Time on Windows XP, to run an open-source (and admittedly quite snazzy and useful looking) SVG editor. But guess what - the install bombs out half way through with some meaningless message. It may have something to do with scripts being disabled on my PC; but if they can't be bothered to test even that, then I'll give Java a miss.

Comment

MS is all you'll ever need, and if you follow the Chinese way of doing things, just a free as OSS.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
              X