• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the UK respect the cultures of other countries?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with stuff like this are the other consequences.

I don't suppose most of the forum users have had the pleasure of having a period. It can be a horrible, messy business made more manageable by using tampons. The alternative is large wodges of padding between your legs, prone to floods and leaks and definitely impinging on what you wear and what physical activities you can enjoy. Using tampons damages the hymen. If this is used to assess virginity, then, even ignoring the fact that there is no similar test for men (presumably they are taken at their word, or it's not considered important?), it's a misogynistic practice which impacts women's ability to enjoy their chaste life to the full.

Should we interfere? Probably not, but I see no problem in expressing concern. Should we respect it? No.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Perhaps start by putting it into context? Indonesia is a predominantly Muslim country and pre-marital abstinence is a fundamental tenet of their faith. As it is for Christianity, but our churches seem to have given up on preaching morality. Or much of anything, actually.

Anyway, my problem is other countries not respecting our culture, not the other way round.
      Malvolio, you've obviously never been to Indonesia. It may be Muslim, but it's the most debauched Muslim country I've ever been to. Java is incredible, with Jakarta off the scale. When I was younger, I was propositioned so many times in shopping centers, let alone nightclubs that the UK has been a disappointment ever since. I was even asked to a party by a group of girls while at Surabaya zoo while looking at a Komodo dragon. (Now that was a great night :-) )
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        it's a misogynistic practice which impacts women.
        True, completely so.

That being said the UK is in a very small minority with having gender equality enshrined not only in law, but in practice. More than a few European countries may have the laws, but they ignore them. Whole swathes of the world officially treat the genders differently, it may be objectionable to us, but misogynist behaviour is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Malvolio, you've obviously never been to Indonesia. It may be Muslim, but it's the most debauched Muslim country I've ever been to. Java is incredible, with Jakarta off the scale. When I was younger, I was propositioned so many times in shopping centers by ladyboys, let alone nightclubs that the UK has been a disappointment ever since. I was even asked to a party by a group of what looked like girls while at Surabaya zoo while looking at a Komodo dragon. (Now that was a great night :-) and I've never walked straight legged since)
          FTFY
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            True, completely so.

That being said the UK is in a very small minority with having gender equality enshrined not only in law, but in practice. More than a few European countries may have the laws, but they ignore them.
            All the member states of the EU have gender equality in their laws under pinned by EU treaties so it's unfair to say that a few European countries ignore equal rights.

Also claiming that the UK doesn't ignore gender laws in practice when it suits us compared to our European neighbours is unfair.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              All the member states of the EU have gender equality in their laws under pinned by EU treaties so it's unfair to say that a few European countries ignore equal rights.

Also claiming that the UK doesn't ignore gender laws in practice when it suits us compared to our European neighbours is unfair.
              If that's what you really believe......

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                FTFY
                Ah! Memories.

Welsh Embassy

The Welsh Embassy. A beer and a blow job while surrounded by the Welsh flag.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Ah! Memories.

Welsh Embassy

The Welsh Embassy. A beer and a blow job while surrounded by the Welsh flag.
                  Are beer and blow jobs allowed in Wales?!?! Erections are now banned in Scotland.

Last edited by minestrone; 17 May 2015, 17:15.

Comment

But then again, they're not going to be of loose morals: The Sun
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Hands up who just applied to be an Indonesian doctor?

Comment

Working...
                      X