• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptops. Are specs going backwards ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gcc.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
      I've decided to get a Mac for my next laptop... Let's see how it goes...

Can anyone recommend a Mac retailer, btw?
      If you know what you want, just buy direct from the online Apple Store. Otherwise the Apple UK site will direct you to a dealer.

There's not much price variation. Apple control all the reseller prices with an iron fist.

Sieg Heil Jobs

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
        gcc.
        gcc

Errmm, yes, GCC. But compiling what? ANSI C or C++ ?

C++ is a fully object-oriented (and overblown) language whereas C is one step up from assembler!

They share some basic syntax and lexical structure but only in the same sense that chalk and cheese are both solids.

A complex C++ program takes several 'shedloads' more computational power and working storage to compile than complex ANSI C one does.

You can't say 'compiling huge wads of C on this box is much faster than it was on my last box' and expect anybody to take any meaning from it. Can you?

Quantify!
        Last edited by bogeyman; 25 September 2006, 19:13.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
          I just bought a Core 2 Duo box (2GHz) - well a Mac one. Scares the crap out of me how fast it is (compared to older machine compiling a huge chunk of C!). I reckon each core is around the same speed as a 3.06GHz P4.
          Sounds like an E6400... and with the right software that takes advantage of such a chip, it will be quite a performer.

The E6800 is unlocked - but costs about £700.

Just for the chip.

For a couple of hundred more you can build a PC around an E6600 (the chip I use) (£100 for motherboard, £200 for cpu, c£100 for hard drive(s), £150 for graphics card, £100 for case and £150 for memory). Monitors are dirt cheap too - I have a 19" widescreen that cost £119, and is a bargain for the price.

The E6600 is cheapest of the Core Duo's that ups the cache per core from 1 MBto 2MB. Runs at 2.4 Ghz (stock), can easily reach 3Ghz.

I returned a new AMD dual core AM2 setup to go Conroe - and its significantly faster.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
            Huge chunks of C ?

Who, exactly, has trouble compiling 'huge chunks' of C any more?

Even a modest Intel or AMD processor, with a stingy amount of memory, would absolutelty piss through any amount of ANSI C code using a modern C compiler (from GNU, MS, Borland etc.).

What C compiler are you using that gives you this impression?

Now C++ is a different story, but compiling ANSI C should be as simple as.
            gcc 4.0. It's not quite just that. There is a fair amount of parser generation as well, gnu autoconf, test cases and the likes. It was ported away from C++ as it was too slow (templates bodge). Took 26 secs on p4-3.06. Takes 14 seconds on a Core 2 duo @ 2GHz with make -j 4.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

btw machine:

- core 2 duo 2ghz 4mb cache
              - 1gb ddr2 667mhz
              - ati x1600 128mb
              - 160gb 7200rpm seagate sata disk
              - 17" widescreen tft
              - web cam + microphone
              - mouse + keyboard
              - wlan + bluetooth
              - dvd+/-rw
              - 3x usb2
              - 1x firewire
              - optical digital io
              - built in speakers which are quite good
              - remote control (!)
              - os comparable to xp pro + media centre.
              - xcode (eqiv to visual studio)
              - 2y warranty on entire system no pissing around rma'ing components)
              - takes up as much room as a 18" TFT does
              - decent office suite .... £55.

£799 from john lewis - i just walked in and bought it on the way home (no dell 50 quid delivery charge etc).

You can't really get that for the same money in PC land.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
              X