• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour banging on about zero-hours contracts ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what happens if your employer phones you on a monday and says sorry no work this week? Do you get benfits for the week?

They had a few people on the radio yesterday. One of them liked the way it worked - one didnt.

I can see how it might not be the best job in the world when you've got bills to pay and I guess it depends on your employer being fair. i.e. not expecting you to work at the drop of a hat then giving you nothing other weeks. Maybe its just got to be better controlled so employers dont take the piss?

But then its better than benefits surely? If you dont like a 0 hours contract then get something else.

Can imagine if they force employers to can this and take someone on guaranteed hours then employers are going to say stuff that I cant do that I wont bother then. One more person on benefits.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Can imagine if they force employers to can this and take someone on guaranteed hours then employers are going to say stuff that I cant do that I wont bother then. One more person on benefits.
      I was against minimum wage for that reason, and with hindsight I think I was wrong. In a way any rights for workers (including minimum wage) guarantee a certain amount of unemployment, as do benefits, but it probably is a good thing overall. The greater issue is the number of people with no skills; if you're chasing unskilled minimum wage jobs then you're never going to have a good time.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X