• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to stop fare dodging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It only goes to show the total lack of ticket inspectors between the major commuter towns outside M25 and inner London stations.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      It only goes to show the total lack of ticket inspectors between the major commuter towns outside M25 and inner London stations.
      You are expected to be honest.

If you travel on the trains and metro in other European countries they also don't have loads of ticket inspectors.

Also the ticket inspectors cannot get on commuter trains in SE and London as they can't physically get on the trains. So the only way to catch people is on their way out and by doing sting operations.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Seems easy to do this sort of thing mind which I guess is the attraction for people. £20K no matter what you earn is a fair whack if you think its easy mind.

Although this fella - surely when he got the first warning he would have shat himself and given it up? Nuts that is mind.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Although this fella - surely when he got the first warning he would have shat himself and given it up? Nuts that is mind.
          There are obviously loads of people doing it.

Also most of them either get cautioned or go to magistrates court and get a small fine. I do know someone who did end up in court due to fare dodging. He got a £30 fine and no criminal record.* That was in the days before oyster cards/bank cards tracked your journey and they could look on their computer systems to see when you last brought a season ticket....

*We worked out he lost more money in having to take a day off to attend court than paying the couple of fares he evaded.

Comment

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to buy a ruddy ticket. :-(

Get on at my station with no ticket machine, no permit to travel etc, Conductor can't normally sell a ticket. It's 2 minutes to bath.

Then the guy comes round on the train to paddington (sometimes) and tries to chare a full fare ratherthan the most appropriateone on the ground it's in a penalty zone.

Can't buy the ticket in Bath without missing the London connection.

Right pain in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              As two fare dodgers have recently been caught, would it be reasonable to conjecture that the rail companies have started using some kind of new face recognition technology to determine who gets on the train where?
              Probably simpler than that - like flagging up when Oyster cards rack up penalty charges day-in, day-out. Shouldn't take long to work out a pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Sometimes it would be nice to be able to buy a ruddy ticket. :-(

Get on at my station with no ticket machine, no permit to travel etc, Conductor can't normally sell a ticket. It's 2 minutes to bath.

Then the guy comes round on the train to paddington (sometimes) and tries to chare a full fare ratherthan the most appropriateone on the ground it's in a penalty zone.

Can't buy the ticket in Bath without missing the London connection.

Right pain in the butt.
                This winds me up too sometimes. Fair enough catch the fair dodgers BUT

Where I get on half the time one of the ticket machine is broken which sometimes means a huge queue for the one working one. I aint missing my train because of this so I just jump on.

So far I've had no problems buying on the train but I know people who have had issues.

Then again, rugby day in cardiff everyone buys a single in kmowing full well when its packed to the roof coming home there no chance in a million years the guard will be around.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Then again, rugby day in cardiff everyone buys a single in kmowing full well when its packed to the roof coming home there no chance in a million years the guard will be around.
                  Typical thieving Welsh twunts.
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                    Typical thieving Welsh twunts.
                    Racist!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Racist!
                      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                      X