• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Direct Mortgage Interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I 'ported' my FD mortgage to a new house.
    I'd looked at doing so the year before, it was very noticeable that their lending criteria had tightened enormously, they treated it as a new application and wanted a lot more evidence of ability to pay.
    In 2013, they were happy to move the loan and add a further advance, based only on my wife's salary.

So I ended up spending a total of about 2 or 3 hours on the phone, and at one point contemplated selling ISA's etc to avoid the need for a mortgage.

I did have a short conversation with a broker, but they seemed unable to match the zero fees (apart from valuation), offset facility, flexibility or lifetime tracker rate FD had signed up to in 1998.

It will be interesting to see if they let me port it again, as we hope to move again later this year, keeping the current shack as a BTL.

Previous mortgage had a cashback....

Comment

i got an advisor calling me today at 2.30
      Spent well over an hour on the phone on saturday just going through the in principle stage.

Comment

Originally posted by AMH View Post
        i got an advisor calling me today at 2.30
        Spent well over an hour on the phone on saturday just going through the in principle stage.
        Good luck, not sure if the issues is just for there off-set product as it interest only so hard to get. I've given up on them now tbh and gone to a plan B.
        I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
          Good luck, not sure if the issues is just for there off-set product as it interest only so hard to get. I've given up on them now tbh and gone to a plan B.
          Offset is worth having IMHO.
          I liked getting their badly worded letters moaning that I didn't owe them any interest that month.
          The interest only thing, they have to be able to tick a box saying you've got a credible means to pay them back.
          They were satisfied with my ISA and my loosely-avowed intention to keep paying into it.

I'm curious to know how different it is with other lenders?
          I know one or two others who have had a lot more questions when moving mortgages in the last year or so.

Comment

this was for a tracker.

I looked at an offset, but I prefered yorkshire BS one + they seemed less stringent as well as allowing multiple saving pots. However, lasting only 2 years on the deal kinda put me off as it reverts back to a rate I am paying now.

At least with a tracker (1.49% above BoE BR) the rates could rise from .5% to 2% & I will still be paying less than I am now... Im licking my finger & sticking in the air to predict we won't see 2% for at least 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AMH View Post
              this was for a tracker.

I looked at an offset, but I prefered yorkshire BS one + they seemed less stringent as well as allowing multiple saving pots. However, lasting only 2 years on the deal kinda put me off as it reverts back to a rate I am paying now.

At least with a tracker (1.49% above BoE BR) the rates could rise from .5% to 2% & I will still be paying less than I am now... Im licking my finger & sticking in the air to predict we won't see 2% for at least 3 years.
              Worth pointing out that a tracker rate will be for an initial period of 2-5 years also, with the rate reverting to the same standard variable rate at the end.

Lifetime trackers are not presently available (you might find the odd one, if you're incredibly lucky, for a very short period of time) from anyone.

Comment

Last time I spoke with FD about a rate change they offered the opportunity for optional financial review which also provides some financial protection - I said no and the telephone call was all done in 20 mins.

Quick question for the mortgage greats on this forum : Is it worth having an offset these days? or are the offset interets rates always much higher than standard repayment rates? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McBurney@CMME View Post
                  Worth pointing out that a tracker rate will be for an initial period of 2-5 years also, with the rate reverting to the same standard variable rate at the end.

Lifetime trackers are not presently available (you might find the odd one, if you're incredibly lucky, for a very short period of time) from anyone.
                  Not strictly true there Mark...

For starters the post by AMH was referring to either First Direct or HSBC both of which I am pretty sure do (and have for a long time) offer lifetime tracker rates.

Woolwich, Abbey and Hinkley & Rugby are also lenders who do currently (and have done for a long time) offer lifetime tracker mortgages.

Granted there are more 2 - 5 year tracker rates out there than lifetime tracker rates but they are not as rare as you are making them out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Power Mortgages Ltd View Post
                    Not strictly true there Mark...

For starters the post by AMH was referring to either First Direct or HSBC both of which I am pretty sure do (and have for a long time) offer lifetime tracker rates.

Woolwich, Abbey and Hinkley & Rugby are also lenders who do currently (and have done for a long time) offer lifetime tracker mortgages.

Granted there are more 2 - 5 year tracker rates out there than lifetime tracker rates but they are not as rare as you are making them out to be.
                    Yup, lifetime tracker to BoE base rate.
                    http://mortgages.firstdirect.com/mor...t--standard~81

there is also one with a slightly higher interest rate, but no fee's.
                    Last edited by AMH; 17 February 2015, 09:17. Reason: links

Comment

Used a broker, I think I spent a grand total of 1 hour to complete the forms and send all the requested documents. No interview. With all the new directives there's no way I would use a broker in future, it costs a bit but is well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                      X