• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth doing a phd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A proper phd is a good thing to get. It doesn't have to result in more money. That's New Labour logic.

Comment

I found that litmus paper works fine to do a Phd test.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

A phd is not worth doing

A PhD is not worth doing. Your department will use you as cheap or unpaid labour and if you pass your supervisor stands most to gain as more phd students who pass mean more promotion prospects for your supervisor.

Many supervisors do not supervise their PhD students, even in good universities, and get away with it. Expect a few minutes once every term. If the student does not float, then they are expected to just leave. There are many ways they have to hide their drop out figures. For example, a popular method is to keep the student on record as having intercalated (indefinately) and therefore never having failed or dropped out. Hence it does not show up as a fail so no future funding is affected.

What you gain when your graduate is expertise in a very narrow area where you would be unlikely to proceed further as a career. When you try to find a job not related to that area you will be overqualified and less employable. Those who did not stay on to do a phd will have settled in employment, but you on the other hand will struggle to find employment with your overqualification (as I am now).

People who like to use the title of 'doctor' outside of academia are generally not looked kindly upon in the workplace so its worth hiding the fact you have a phd if you find a job.

Comment

er...
          <cough> good points, well made
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Laaaaaazzzzzzzaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuussss ssssssss.......
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Blimey, this thread is like a who's who of long gone posters.

Comment

Originally posted by evansad View Post
                A PhD is not worth doing. Your department will use you as cheap or unpaid labour and if you pass your supervisor stands most to gain as more phd students who pass mean more promotion prospects for your supervisor.

Many supervisors do not supervise their PhD students, even in good universities, and get away with it. Expect a few minutes once every term. If the student does not float, then they are expected to just leave. There are many ways they have to hide their drop out figures. For example, a popular method is to keep the student on record as having intercalated (indefinately) and therefore never having failed or dropped out. Hence it does not show up as a fail so no future funding is affected.

What you gain when your graduate is expertise in a very narrow area where you would be unlikely to proceed further as a career. When you try to find a job not related to that area you will be overqualified and less employable. Those who did not stay on to do a phd will have settled in employment, but you on the other hand will struggle to find employment with your overqualification (as I am now).

People who like to use the title of 'doctor' outside of academia are generally not looked kindly upon in the workplace so its worth hiding the fact you have a phd if you find a job.
                Are you me? No, having a PhD definately seems to get in the way of finding work and i'm currently questioning why I ever did one.

I don't agree with the first bit though because I had a good supervisor/group.

You forgot that the permie roles that state PhD as advantageous also pay far fecking less generally. I've seen some even as low as grad starting salaries (20-25K). Do they think you stop understanding the concept of money and just do it for the love of it and raise your family in a bedsit?

I have just started applying for uni research ass/fellow positions in desperation - at least its a pretty easy life although these only pay around 27K ish, if your lucky.

Oh, and when I found a contract doing what I was doing in my PhD the fooking agent whacked a fooking huge margin on that made the clients position of saying fook off easy. They (client) thought I was expensive (large aero company, makes engines), however was only asking for £25/hr as went in low to get contract (I also have a few years previous aero experience also).

Getting seriously down about it all now. My wife has gone back to her part time job after maternity leave because at least she is still employable.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

I'll fess up - Nipple Clamp was an alias of mine, because I forgot my password and couldn't access the email I had previously signed up under.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'd love to do a PhD but I'd do it for me and not for a job (I'm overqualified as it is)
                    I'm under no illusions as to the dificulty of obtaining one, as one of my old tutors used to tell me about those theses he'd had to can (often in the viva ). Sometimes you have to do things just 'cos you think you can.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                      Yeah

Comment

Working...
                      X