• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland - anyone been? Tips?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

For years I've been meaning to spend a couple of weeks there over Christmas, when I've heard it's really good. But while the aged Ps are still around it seems better to spend Christmas day with the family, as I don't see them very often during the rest of the year.

Also, does it seriously cost £500 a day for the basics, or was that comic hyperbole?!
    Depends how much alcohol you include in the basics.

I didn't find it overly expensive when I went.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

For years I've been meaning to spend a couple of weeks there over Christmas, when I've heard it's really good. But while the aged Ps are still around it seems better to spend Christmas day with the family, as I don't see them very often during the rest of the year.

Also, does it seriously cost £500 a day for the basics, or was that comic hyperbole?!
      About £500 per day is about right. I did a trip to NY via Iceland and stated 6 nights and cost close to that.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Been twice - first time in backpacker mode when I filled up the rucksack with packet tuna (the ones that look at bit like cat food) & crackers. It kept the food cost down and I didn't touch a drop of alcohol all week - would have blown the budget!

Second time was last year where we drove from Reykjavik to Akureyri & then flew back to Keflavik airport from there. Fantastic trip - we even saw a blue whale. Skaftafell NP is unmissable and the hotel there served us a fabulous meal in the evening. In fact the food was great all the way round, but it is pricey. Every night was special occasion prices really.

Just trawled through the emails to find the itinerary. This little guesthouse was great - Guesthouse Egilsstodum in Egilsstadir - but most of the rest of the time the company we used just booked us into big touristy places. Personally I would have preferred most guesthouse / B&B. Would probably have been cheaper as well!

Comment

Working...
        X