• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

minnie's Moroccan mega-marathon

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Nice way of getting a tan. How is training going?
    Not good, had my first run last Sunday after I think 4 months doing nothing, 14 miles, 300 meters of climbs. I convinced myself I was OK during it which I probably was not, lungs are gone which was the cold & asthma I think, legs felt good though.

If you free the second week in April 2016 come along.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Not good, had my first run last Sunday after I think 4 months doing nothing, 14 miles, 300 meters of climbs. I convinced myself I was OK during it which I probably was not, lungs are gone which was the cold & asthma I think, legs felt good though.

If you free the second week in April 2016 come along.
      I will think about it. Interesting thought. But your race report from last time was pretty horrific! You have massive balls of steel Sir!

Comment

Consider it. Honestly. I'm like an expert on it now and the second time through will be easy, I know the events that you are doing and the level of fitness that you need to get through them, MDS is just a mind game, not a fitness event. keep dropping the salt tablets, keep drinking the water and don't think about how sore your feet are.

This was my foot 3 weeks the race when I got the bandages off...

Comment

This was the blister, I still had to run 100 miles on that.

Comment

The morning ritual of trying to get the feet in some way capable of another day running, feet on day 3,

( those toenails all fell off )

Comment

So the plan is I get a couple of buckets of sharp stones and 6 months before the race I put on some disco and jump up in down in them for 10 minutes a day.

Comment

So the plan is I get a couple of buckets of sharp stones and 6 months before the race I put on some disco and jump up in down in them for 10 minutes a day.
                In a sauna of course.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

The morning ritual of trying to get the feet in some way capable of another day running, feet on day 3,

( those toenails all fell off )

I have already lost most of my toenails - several times - so no problem there.

Do you have to carry your own blister kit?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I have already lost most of my toenails - several times - so no problem there.

Do you have to carry your own blister kit?
                    The medics will sort you out but it is better if you can deal with your blisters when you get back to your tent after the days running. Else you have to get back up and head to the blister tent which isn't fun. Scalpel, syringe and iodine.

I had to cut into the big blister with a penknife to drain the fluid and by day 3 it was infected. The pain was brutal. Googling "marathon de sable feet" is not recommended if you are squeamish.

Comment

Before I bore anyone else to tears with race chat this was pretty funny.

You are able to send runners messages during the race and then the dossards (general staff of the race) will print them out and bring then to your tent the next day.

Chap in our tent dropped out on day 2, a previous MDS finisher and a Boston marathon finisher so a runner of some ability. I don't know why he dropped out but I was told he had a bleeding scrotum, anyway, here is what someone wrote to him, I have redacted various passages to protect everyone's identity.

Comment

Working...
                      X