• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think I've been ripped off - what do do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the serious responses to my post.

Yes, the company I ordered the item from is based in the UK.

A pot for a boiler is a chamber with a perforated sleeve through which the vapourised oil is blown by a fan & then ignited. Mine had developed a hole in its base resulting in burning oil leaking into the housing containing the fan & burning all the electrics out.

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
    Chargeback
    That looks interesting. Useful page on MSE explaining that.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
      Thanks for the serious responses to my post.

Yes, the company I ordered the item from is based in the UK.
      In Scotland or rUK?

Comment

I bought a pot for my boiler from a company I found on the internet. Paid over the phone & the bloke said he would post it the next day.

That was 2 weeks ago. Have spoken since and he is adamant that he sent it Royal mail. He said give it a couple more days & if it doesn't show up to get in touch again. Well, that was 4 days ago -since then I've sent several emails, none of which has been answered and he doesn't answer his phone.

How can I turn up the heat? (excuse the pun, I really want to be able to turn up the heat - literally!). I've asked him for a tracking no. in one of his unanswered emails - at least if I had that I could find out from the Royal Mail what's going on.

Suppose he did just post it Royal Mail with no recorded delivery or anything like that & it just got lost - surely he's liable to cough up and give me a refund?

Anything legal I can do at this stage?
        Does their website [or the confirmation when you bought the item] state that they will send it as more than just standard first class?

Could you visit their premises?
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          Does their website [or the confirmation when you bought the item] state that they will send it as more than just standard first class?

Could you visit their premises?
          They have a tuppenny ha'penny website & I reckon it wouldn't take much to put one together & get above them in the rankings as it's a very niche area. The home page will just simply state something along the lines of don't touch ACME boiler co. with a bargepole because blah blah blah.... & tell everyone one what a bunch of rip off merchants they are.

On a similar topic - is it easy to flame a website? I'm quite tempted to write a little utility to bring their website crashing down somehow.

Comment

They have a tuppenny ha'penny website & I reckon it wouldn't take much to put one together & get above them in the rankings as it's a very niche area. The home page will just simply state something along the lines of don't touch ACME boiler co. with a bargepole because blah blah blah.... & tell everyone one what a bunch of rip off merchants they are.

On a similar topic - is it easy to flame a website? I'm quite tempted to write a little utility to bring their website crashing down somehow.
            er, Ok.

But have they specifically told you the item was to be sent recorded, or special delivery?
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              What exactly is a pot for a boiler?
              Helps cook the noodles
              Join IPSE

Comment

Sorry mate but I don't think you've got a pot to piss in
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  er, Ok.

But have they specifically told you the item was to be sent recorded, or special delivery?
                  No. They just said it was sent Royal Mail. I've since asked them if it was sent recorded or special delivery but they are not returning my calls or answering my emails.

Anyhow, I just rang the bank and they were very helpful. Once 15 days has elapsed since the money was debited from my account they can dispute the transaction and claim the money back from the supplier (or his bank). Apparently.

What worries me is that he will claim that he posted it & either I am lying or that it got lost in the post. If it was lost in the post & he didn't insure it I don't know who is liable. The sender I would assume.

Comment

No. They just said it was sent Royal Mail. I've since asked them if it was sent recorded or special delivery but they are not returning my calls or answering my emails.

Anyhow, I just rang the bank and they were very helpful. Once 15 days has elapsed since the money was debited from my account they can dispute the transaction and claim the money back from the supplier (or his bank). Apparently.

What worries me is that he will claim that he posted it & either I am lying or that it got lost in the post. If it was lost in the post & he didn't insure it I don't know who is liable. The sender I would assume.
                    Maybe you did get it and you're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      In Scotland or rUK?
                      Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Sorry mate but I don't think you've got a pot to piss in
                      Can you guys hold the f*****g asinine comments?

I've lost quite a bit of money here... not in the mood.

Comment

Working...
                      X