• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here buy shares?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    My vodafone shares are finally back up to what I paid for them...
    I am back up to the levels before last months blip, forgot I had dividends to reinvest automatically so unwittingly topped up some CLIG today, I know I should stop looking at this every day but damnit I just can't help myself
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      My vodafone shares are finally back up to what I paid for them...
      I paid 164 few years back, but on the flip side I bought ASOS at 3300 sold at 1991 , so overall now I've got the same £ as I invested initially 3 years back, I don't think I'm very good at it to be honest
      I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
        I paid 164 few years back, but on the flip side I bought ASOS at 3300 sold at 1991 , so overall now I've got the same £ as I invested initially 3 years back, I don't think I'm very good at it to be honest
        No, me neither. Been 'playing' with my ISA - made a few hundred quid on some, lost it on others.
        SIPP is sensibly invested in managed funds and doing better. Think I might sell up and move to funds. Or just go mad and spend it!

Comment

Just prompted me to take a look at my Yahoo Fantasy Trader portfolio; set up about 4 years ago following motley fool recommendations currently sitting at -17%

Meanwhile I pay a chickie to manage my real stuff that is +15% (currently) (Edit: and is likley screwing me in fees.)

Its all a gamble.
          Last edited by Dallas; 11 November 2014, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
            Just prompted me to take a look at my Yahoo Fantasy Trader portfolio; set up about 4 years ago following motley fool recommendations currently sitting at -17%

Meanwhile I pay a chickie to manage my real stuff that is +15% (currently) (Edit: and is likley screwing me in fees.)

Its all a gamble.
            The biggest tip I can give is around fees, and that is don't tinker!

I get a flat fee of about £12 per trade so now don't trade anything under £1000, also means you foster a more long term approach to growth rather than cashing lots of small wins
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This thread has caused me to almost shed a tear in frustration.
              I consider the proper investments to be the best way for me to generate a substantial fund which removes the need for me to work.
              It's approaching a state where this is possible, certainly full time work is optional.
              And without any of the requirements to put in additional time e.g. that property would.

I have made all the mistakes illustrated here and many more and people are their own worst enemies to success but I have one characteristic that has saved me despite all this.
              When the market stumbles or crashes (I have been through dotcom, bank crisis etc) I hold my nerve and try to continue buying (everyone thinks they can but very few do) - automatic monthly purchase helps this.
              Oh - and forget individual shares, you don't have a clue and cant compete with the market.
              BUT do buy the market - I would urge you to consider something like the Vanguard lifestrategy 80 global fund, low cost, very wide spread.
              Trust me on this, you will be delighted you did this in 10 years time, pound-cost averaging and compound interest are your friend and FFS don't sell up when it tanks NO MATTER WHAT.

Comment

Working...
              X