• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    It makes me a laugh when I hear Salmond talking about the cost of the Trident programme .... when of course a large chunk of the money is spent within Scotland and comes from the entire UK tax base.

Out with Governments you've never elected? Well my boy you are in for a shock. I didn't think you wanted to live in a one-party-state? You might well find that you are living under the rule of a party that you didn't elect. That's democracy for you.
    You do realise we have a different system of democracy in Scotland? We have a partial PR system and not just first past the post.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Scottish stocks are getting hammered more than the pound.

I think that says everything.
      Which? Fish stocks?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        So, the markets are only nervous about uncertainty.

Balance of payments and reduction of GDP in the sterling zone doesn't come into it ??
        Possibly it's a factor - hard to say. Independence is interesting and it may be worth doing on both side despite the pain, but the pain is there, and CU is not a goer.

But Scottish compaines are doing badly on the stock market today, so it looks like the stock market at least doesn't see this as a 'win for Scotland' Billions of pounds wiped from value of Scottish firms after yes vote leads poll | Politics | theguardian.com

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          There's far more important things needing attention in Scotland than currency. Poverty being an important one. An independent Scotland is going to use the power to start with
          All very laudable, sorting out all the wrongs of society. Might be interesting to know just how you are planning on funding all of these altruistic endeavours once the cash from Central Government stops though.
          Do feel free to enlighten us.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Honestly it's not an issue for me. And that's me speaking with two properties in Scotland whose combined value is over £500k. So I've a lot to loose. But are they going to be valued at less than £300k, 200k less in a years time? I don't think so.

There's far more important things needing attention in Scotland than currency. Poverty being an important one. An independent Scotland is going to use the power to start with. A change will only come later, as much as it was like when Ireland went independent.

I think it's far more disconcerting to GBP when 5 million less people stop using it.
            What exactly are your lot going to do about poverty apart from putting more people into it?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              What exactly are your lot going to do about poverty?
              Hang the recruitment agents from the lampposts and render their body fat and hair gel down into the oil reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Does the Scottish media not mention currency?
                Yes they do but they are 99% Unionist propaganda so are no different from the English press.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  All very laudable, sorting out all the wrongs of society. Might be interesting to know just how you are planning on funding all of these altruistic endeavours once the cash from Central Government stops though.
                  Do feel free to enlighten us.
                  I think only someone of wealth could consider whether a father or mother has the money to feed their children an 'altruistic endeavour' opposed to 'right of the citizen'

It's incredible a wealthy society such as ours must make the basics in life commercial.

The UK press often criticises UK AID to countries with nuclear / space programs.

I recall one family in Fife, reading the story that the stress of Christmas brings. Employed, both parents, yet family life was next to nil. It's makes me wench inside and I compare such stories against my own living standards.

Live to work if you like, but I'd far rather a society that is based on working to live.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I think only someone of wealth could consider whether a father or mother has the money to feed their children an 'altruistic endeavour' opposed to 'right of the citizen'

It's incredible a wealthy society such as ours must make the basics in life commercial.

The UK press often criticises UK AID to countries with nuclear / space programs.

I recall one family in Fife, reading the story that the stress of Christmas brings. Employed, both parents, yet family life was next to nil. It's makes me wench inside and I compare such stories against my own living standards.

Live to work if you like, but I'd far rather a society that is based on working to live.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Can you just answer the question or should I lower its altitude?
                      HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FUND ALL THE EMPTY PROMISES?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X