• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you leave a contract early ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks for the advice folks.

<bows respectfully>

Comment

Closure

So BGG, only interested - what are you going to do?

Comment

Re: Closure

Server/Network support, for my sins.

Comment

Just get a notice clause put into the contract, 1month from them or 1 month from you. Then take it or leave it as it works out but just remember then they can do the same to you.

The only problem is that having a notice period is seen by the IR as decreasing the "business risk" of the contract, and is one of the factors that can be used to point to disguised employment.

Comment

Okay, I really couldn't resist a reply to this thread:

If you don't already have a notice clause in your contract then you are obliged to stay (unless you go bankrupt or die of some terrible illness etc.). If there already is a notice clause then you can invoke that.

The thing to consider is "what would the agent/client do if they were in my shoes" - I think you'll find that the answer corresponds to "fook you right over and take the money"

D

Comment

If they can't decide whether its a three or six month contract, take the initiative and offer them a three month contract followed by monthly renewals "so that they can retain maximum flexibility".

Comment

Re: How do you leave a contract early ?
                By laying a great big turd on the board room table.

Spod - In "Next question?" mode.

Comment

Spod:
                  By laying a great big turd on the board room table.
                  Yeah, we've seen your code.

Comment

Yeah, we've seen your code.
                    Threaded:

No you haven't! Although as have millions of others, you've probably at some time used it without knowing!

Comment

Spodly: You're not off on one of your fairy tales again by any chance? :\

Comment

Working...
                      X