• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore staff being shipped in to the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

For what it's worth I have found Indians fairly similar to anyone else in IT in that the contractors are quite good but those working for the consultancies lack initiative.
    The Indian contractors are now mostly British/EU citizens and realise they cannot survive on low rates if they intend to make their life in the UK.

The same happens with EU citizens they convince to come over. When they realise the cost of living in the UK or that the office they are suppose to work at is in the middle of no-where they either don't come or jump ship asap.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 3 August 2014, 19:20.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I totally apologize. I will let my post stand as a monument to my stupidity - unless you want to to correct it?
      Accepted

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The Indian contractors are now mostly British/EU citizens and realise they cannot survive on low rates if they intend to make their life in the UK.

The same happens with EU citizens they convince to come over. When they realise the cost of living in the UK or that the office they are suppose to work at is in the middle of no-where they either don't come or jump ship asap.
        I think the new media companies in Silicon Roundabout in London are beginning to struggle to recruit contractors in some areas and permanent people in a lot more as the cost of living is prohibitive for what they are willing to pay. This seems to lead to a lot of ex-public school people working for them as presumably the parents are in a position to help out.

The one I worked at recently opened a development centre in Bristol as they couldn't get anyone in London.

Comment

Accepted
          OMG this is General, you are supposed to scratch eyes out here sheesh

Comment

I think the new media companies in Silicon Roundabout in London are beginning to struggle to recruit contractors in some areas and permanent people in a lot more as the cost of living is prohibitive for what they are willing to pay. This seems to lead to a lot of ex-public school people working for them as presumably the parents are in a position to help out.

The one I worked at recently opened a development centre in Bristol as they couldn't get anyone in London.
            Silicon Roundabout has broadband infrastructure problems. So opening up elsewhere also means they can actually get a decent connection.....

Comment

Silicon Roundabout has broadband infrastructure problems. So opening up elsewhere also means they can actually get a decent connection.....
              I could never get a phone signal either!

Comment

I could never get a phone signal either!
                Could you get 4G? H? 3G? E?

In some parts of London you can't get any sort of mobile internet connection......

Comment

Write to your MP, write to all the other political candidates. Write to the press.

Complain about intra company transfer visas being handed out, in skills already in oversupply, to masses of Indian nationals.

Complain about so many intra company transfer entrants still being given indefinite leave to remain, and British passports, simply for working here a while.

Complain about them getting the first 12 months in the country free of both employers and employees national insurance.

Complain about their tax allowance not being pro rata with the amount of the tax year they are allowed to be in the country.

Complain about the large tax free payments they get supposedly as expenses for things Brits working away from home within the UK cannot claim.

Complain about their spouse getting a visa which allows them to work.

Complain about their children getting free school places.

Complain about their family getting free NHS regardless of any expensive pre existing conditions.

Complain about the way the outsourcers treat them like slaves.

Complain about the British intellectual property they are stealing.

Complain about the corruption and racism they have imported with their workforces.

Complain about their tax avoidance scams, use of tax havens etc by their outsourcer employers.

Complain about the numbers of children they are having while here.

Complain and don't stop complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    Write to your MP, write to all the other political candidates. Write to the press.

Complain about intra company transfer visas being handed out, in skills already in oversupply, to masses of Indian nationals.

/snip/

Complain and don't stop complaining.
                    Stop companies hiring CIO's who use outsorucing a a short term measure to reduce costs whilst completely screwing up the longer term IT infrastructure and development.

We have had this discussion many times but as soon as someone mentions off-shoring they should be taken outside and shot

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X