• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CUK Gardening Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    my dad was an real expert at all things growing and he taught me a useful tip - when you are transplanting or dealing with the soil or compost in any way, rinse your hands thoroughly.
    Not wash - rinse.
    get all the chemicals, incl soap, off your hands before you go anywhere near the tender bits
    Unless of course you use this : AgriHit? Natural Bio Cleaner
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

[QUOTE=cailin maith;1963964]
      Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      A nice clematis would be nice.

Clematis 'Victoria' (LL) | Clematis 'Victoria'/RHS Gardening

£3.99 in Aldi at the moment - I bought 2 yesterday
      Problem with clematis is they don't give a scent and they flower for short period. What you are then left with is a very prolific green leafy plant for the rest of the period which is a nightmare to prune back every week. You can get ones that flower at different times of the year, but only briefly which is shame.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Passion Flower (passiflora caerulea) is a particularly striking climber.

It's a native of South America and consequently needs protecting from frost but I've seen plenty growing on sheltered walls in gardens round here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
          Passion Flower (passiflora caerulea) is a particularly striking climber.

It's a native of South America and consequently needs protecting from frost but I've seen plenty growing on sheltered walls in gardens round here.
          They are a lot more frost resistant thank you think and do flower for quite some time as well.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            They are a lot more frost resistant thank you think and do flower for quite some time as well.
            I have a £15 passiflora purchased from Tesco and its doing very nicely, thank you very much. Needs to be in partial shade. If you are VERY lucky, you might even get some granadillas / passion fruit in the early autumn.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Oh aaaaaaarrrrrr, the answer be in the soil.

Aaaaaar.

Now get orff moi laaaand.

Comment

Question for the grassheads.

What is the best way of dealing with yarrow in a lawn short of digging up the affected areas?

I've used a selective weedkiller but it don't touch the yarrow.

Thinking it may be a long term strategy of aeration, top dressing and repeat applications of weedkiller as it seems to be a stubborn bugger.

Comment

Mixture of paraquat and napalm, apply liberally to the lawn, your PC and list of sockpuppet ID's and passwords.

Comment

Working...
                  X