• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steve Irwin killed by stingray

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK
    ... that other, less presenters, just do not seem to understand. His wife and family must be going through an untold of misery and despair right now.

He lived more of his life in his 40 odd years than many people do in double that time. God bless you Steve.
    I presume you meant lesser there. You mean lesser, living presenters?

Perhaps he should have had a bit more thought for his family and been a little safer and less reckless with his own life? I saw the clip tonight where he was taunting a crocodile whilst holding his one month old son. Makes him a bit of a pillock in my book, endangering his own son in that way.

It's all very sad of course but he was the author of his own destruction.

TSP

Comment

[QUOTE=Phoenix]
      Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
      He must have up set them quite a lot.

Our stingray's are tame.

This is not good! why are tourists encouraged to disturb these creatures?
      And I bet they know nothing of the risk!

Phoenix in PADI mode
      I think those are skates, not stingrays. They are not venomous.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pinto]
        Originally posted by Phoenix

I think those are skates, not stingrays. They are not venomous.
        So for years they have got the name Stingray City wrong?

Stingray City Trips
        Blair, you cannot reach me now,
        No matter how you try,
        Goodbye cruel Labour,
        Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

[QUOTE=CaribbeanPirate]
          Originally posted by Pinto
          So for years they have got the name Stingray City wrong?

Stingray City Trips
          Googled this:

Skates can be further distinguished from stingrays as they possess two dorsal fins on the tail, have a distinct caudal fin, possess thorns on the tail, and lack poisonous serrated spines on the tail. Stingrays possess one or no dorsal fins, and their whiplike tails are usually armed with one or more serrated spines that possess venom-producing goblet cells located along the length of ventral grooves of the spine.

There's no way anybody would risk tourist interaction with venomous stingrays. That's just what I think, I may be wrong.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pinto]
            Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate

Googled this:

Skates can be further distinguished from stingrays as they possess two dorsal fins on the tail, have a distinct caudal fin, possess thorns on the tail, and lack poisonous serrated spines on the tail. Stingrays possess one or no dorsal fins, and their whiplike tails are usually armed with one or more serrated spines that possess venom-producing goblet cells located along the length of ventral grooves of the spine.

There's no way anybody would risk tourist interaction with venomous stingrays. That's just what I think, I may be wrong.

They are stringrays. I've dived there just next to the place where the pics are taken, and they are stingray's with intact stingers. I had a chat with a local diver who showed me his sting scars (basically conical holes in your flesh a bit like really scabby junkies have.)

I've swam alongside these animals in various places worldwide and never really considered getting offed by one. In fact, didn't even know you could! Steve Irwin - one statistically unfortunate guy.

Now Stonefish, they're a different thing altogether....

Comment

[QUOTE=Rantor]
              Originally posted by Pinto

They are stringrays. I've dived there just next to the place where the pics are taken, and they are stingray's with intact stingers. I had a chat with a local diver who showed me his sting scars (basically conical holes in your flesh a bit like really scabby junkies have.)

I've swam alongside these animals in various places worldwide and never really considered getting offed by one. In fact, didn't even know you could! Steve Irwin - one statistically unfortunate guy.

Now Stonefish, they're a different thing altogether....

Yeh, yeh, yeh, and I must have had stingray and chips list night.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddy]
                Originally posted by Rantor

Yeh, yeh, yeh, and I must have had stingray and chips list night.
                Not as good as my Panda Kebab I bet.....

Comment

[QUOTE=Rantor]
                  Originally posted by Paddy

Not as good as my Panda Kebab I bet.....
                  Well that was irresponsible of you. Don't you know they're an endangered species ?

Oh and by the way - I've been to Stingray City a number of times when in the Cayman Islands and they are definitely Stingrays. So there !
                  I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Working...
                  X