• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anybody here furloughed themselves yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
    My accountant has put in a claim on my behalf starting April 1, ending April 30.
    My contract was abruptly terminated on March 31 because of CV.
    He said we'll have a chat mid May to decide if we need to claim for May as well.
    That's a sensible way of doing it. If you don't do any work in May then it's simple enough to put in a claim. If you do end up with some work then you know you won't have claimed in error.

Comment

My accountant will be putting in a CJRS application from me. Contract finished 2nd April (a few days earlier than contact end date), I am now shielding for 12 weeks. Accountant will make April’s application over the next week or so...busy processing those with March claims.

I have reserves, but that is because in uncertain times (Brexit, IR35 and now Coronavirus) I didn’t use things like pension allowances as I wanted a safety net. I’d like to still do that if things ever get back to normal. I see no reason why just because I have reserves that I shouldn’t apply to the CJRS.

Comment

Originally posted by DSF70 View Post
        My accountant will be putting in a CJRS application from me. Contract finished 2nd April (a few days earlier than contact end date), I am now shielding for 12 weeks. Accountant will make April’s application over the next week or so...busy processing those with March claims.

I have reserves, but that is because in uncertain times (Brexit, IR35 and now Coronavirus) I didn’t use things like pension allowances as I wanted a safety net. I’d like to still do that if things ever get back to normal. I see no reason why just because I have reserves that I shouldn’t apply to the CJRS.
        Does the application not need to be submitted by tomorrow's deadline for April's salary payment?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Yes, so long people people realise they are (ab)using the scheme to gain income they're not really entitled to (as per the design of the scheme), that's their choice. There's a chance HMRC could come asking for proof, but I suspect the risk is low.
          Huh ?

How is someone abusing the scheme ? the gov have made it clear that a company can furlough employees and claim 80% of their pay from the government, now whilst there maybe a moral argument that rich individuals (Beckham/Branson etc) shouldnt be doing this (although a rich individual doesnt always mean a profitable company) many profitable companies ARE using it and I can see no legal or moral reason why we as PSC contractors shouldnt, there is no legal obligation to prove the loss of business is due to IR35 jitters or Covid or even that there actually IS a downturn in business.

My contract end is coming up, I doubt a new contract will be coming anytime soon so Im prepared to furlough "myself", I use the Xero online accountants package and its taken this into account and its quite easy to set up (like most here I can claim 80% of the £719 Ive been paying myself)

Comment

Originally posted by Scoooby View Post
            Does the application not need to be submitted by tomorrow's deadline for April's salary payment?
            No, you can submit any time, you just put in the period that you're claiming for. Payment will be made within 6 working days. A lot of the press has been focussed on encouraging companies with monthly payroll due at the end of the month to submit asap so as not to delay payments to staff.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              No, you can submit any time, you just put in the period that you're claiming for. Payment will be made within 6 working days. A lot of the press has been focussed on encouraging companies with monthly payroll due at the end of the month to submit asap so as not to delay payments to staff.
              Correct....

Comment

I am in contract at the moment but if I wasn't I would have absolutely no hesitation in furloughing myself regardless of how long I had been out. The government have put this and other schemes in place because they have had to shut down parts of the economy to get people to stay at home.

Comment

Had a quick run through on the calculator and as I finished my last gig on the 3/4/2020 I could expect £268 for April.

£500 or so a month paid into my business account won't make the slightest difference unfortunately! I'm blaming my accountant for advising me to pay myself £8k a year

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
                    Had a quick run through on the calculator and as I finished my last gig on the 3/4/2020 I could expect £268 for April.

£500 or so a month paid into my business account won't make the slightest difference unfortunately! I'm blaming my accountant for advising me to pay myself £8k a year
                    So you'd rather take nothing than £500 and consider yourself better off?

Comment

Apply for CJRS AFTER salary already paid and recommended template letter

Can you still apply for CJRS AFTER a normal salary payment has been made for the period being applied for (assuming you still intend to pay 100% of your salary)?

What paperwork / letter templates are people using / would recommend to support the company decision to apply to the CJRS?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X