• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Agency Blunder Refusing Payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP - Confused. The expenses you refer to are for travelling from home/client site Swindon/staying over.

Obviously, normally this would not be payable. If you can get this into the contract then fair enough but I've have made sure it was in there explicitly.

Like others have said, chances are if you only got a verbal agreement from the agent it was bull and someone has accidentally agreed the expenses so far and now realised they shouldnt have. I think you've got a fight on your hands here....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

OP- I suggest you seek proper legal advice from a qualified solicitor asap.

While it will cost you some money it will cost you a lot less than having all your expenses reclaimed.

We don't have your full contract in front of us and every agency differs in the contracts they give out even with the same contractors. You may actually be able to stop them claiming back your expenses so far due to what is in your contract and their behaviour.

Agencies often back down once they realise there is a real threat of you going to court.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It sounds to me that you are allowed to claim expenses for travel to "other" sites, but not the "home" site. This is indeed standard practice for a certain large client in Swindon.

I suspect that both you and the client are at fault, but the agency is probably correct in trying to put it right for the client. That is, you (possibly wilfully) misinterpreted your contract and the client manager was inept in not understanding under what terms he/she had engaged you. My guess is that the client manager happily signed your expenses until someone in HR or Finance noticed the error.

Your choice now is:

a) appologies for the misunderstanding, repay the £4k and look forward to extension

or

b) fight it and wave goodbye to any future work with said client.

Hmm..?
        Last edited by Project Monkey; 4 April 2014, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          OP- I suggest you seek proper legal advice from a qualified solicitor asap.

This +1.

Or if you are a member the PCG legal helpline might be a good place to start.
          The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If the person who approved them was under the impression that this had been agreed in the contract, when in fact it hadn't, then there could be an argument that there was misrepresentation on the part of the OP. In that case, just because they have mistakenly approved the expenses in the past doesn't mean that they aren't allowed to ask for that mistake to be rectified and have the money returned.

Worst case scenario, the agency claims that the expenses were fraudulently made, which makes it a criminal matter rather than a civil one.
            Thinking about it you're probably right, I guess this falls into the same category as when banks accidentally put a hundred grand in your account, if you then spend it on designer gear and fast cars you are for it as the money wasn't yours to begin with and said bank wiill demand it back... like everyone else has mentioned it all depends what the OP signed up to in the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
              Thinking about it you're probably right, I guess this falls into the same category as when banks accidentally put a hundred grand in your account, if you then spend it on designer gear and fast cars you are for it as the money wasn't yours to begin with and said bank wiill demand it back... like everyone else has mentioned it all depends what the OP signed up to in the contract.
              I'm convinced the OP thought that travel from home to Swindon was able to be expensed....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I'm convinced the OP thought that travel from home to Swindon was able to be expensed....
                Re-reading the original post, I agree with you.

Looks like the OP has claimed all expenses incurred, but the agency and the client had agreed to pay expenses for travel etc. to sites other than the normal Swindon one.

From my experience, the norm would be the latter, so unless the OP has something in writing to contradict this, they are on a hiding to nothing. The agency would have approved expenses on the assumption that they were valid expenses being claimed - as soon as this was shown not to be the case, they stopped and asked for the money back.

If that's what's happened, then pay up.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

+1
                  and someone accidentally OKed it at client/agency.

OR

agent said it was and lied.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    +1
                    and someone accidentally OKed it at client/agency.

OR

agent said it was and lied.
                    Think the OP has gone cos he doesn't like the answer/truth....

Comment

Possibly.

However the agent, client and the contractor may have agreed something to get the contractor on board that the client later retracted on. I've had clients who are full of tulip until they are made to sign something......

This is why the contract needs to be looked at in full.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X