• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring Job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    +1 to that. Why would anyone invest extra time and money in and employee that has demonstrated a long term inability or effort to do it for themselves.
    +2

If you are in a job that long and don't have the drive to advance then you only have yourself to blame

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      Have you tried valium or yoga? Or a basic English language course?
      Just beat me to it
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
        Hello

I did get an MCP in Windows XP before but to be honest it was really hard work..I was going to do the MCP in Windows Server 2003 but the pint out for the brain dumps for it where so thick I never bothered as I was loosing the will to live haha!
        This is the difference between a contractor and a permie - there is a lot of money in contracting (even support) but unless you can't be that bothered to better yourself training/experience etc then you will never achieve it.

I came to the UK in 2005 and had to start from the bottom (helpdesk) and by 2010 I had the experience and qualifications (MCSE/CCNP/ETC) to start contracting.I have done well for myself since then and don't see myself going perm any-time soon (just turned down a 85k+bonus job opportunity recently because it was perm).

To put it into perspective there are still people I worked with on that helpdesk, still moaning about being there.....but not bothered to take matters into their own hands and start working to better themselves. Maybe I should be happy there are people like that out there.

Comment

I actually think the OP is either being lazy or doesnt have the passion to grow. - I remember when i started, 9 months in 2nd line and then moved to 3rd - Did all possible certifications i could get and studied hard - worked hand in hand with the 3rd line guys to boost up my skills.

12 years in 2nd line support???? really? - and if you cant pass Microsoft MCP Exam easily with your 12 Years experience ... well i think you should spend 6 more years to fully understand 2nd Line support.

The earlier you move up the ladder, the better - I would advice you take more certifications/Study more instead of the OU degree if you want to move into contracting. Gigs are more worried about what you can deliver at day one and not what you have on paper. (Well the paper(cert) could get you to the door though).

Comment

Working...
          X