• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you do a crap contract short-term if needs be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    On the bright side you get to spend more time with the Mrs and nipper
    This is true Spartie and its been nice to do this at least. BUT, I feel the need to be out there earning again now.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Did you widen the scope of your search for roles? If and when I am next benched I will start off looking for local roles only (e.g. first 2-3 weeks). Then I will go out a bit further to places only just commutable with maybe 2-3 nights away from home (next 2-3 weeks) after that it will be anywhere in the UK and finally even start looking abroad.
      Yeh. As discussed before, I'm sortta stuck with local roles at the mo due to personal sitaution.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        Don't take this contract, we will regret it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of our lives.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          Don't take this contract, you will regret it, probably on the first day.
          It can feel like you will never get back in but it only takes one phone call and you can be sorted the following week.
          Get motivated again, update CV's on the job boards, change your linked in status, attach to a few more people if you can, not asking for work, just raising profile.
          Keep busy, dont obsess over the boards, get out and about.
          Hold your nerve, if you have skills and a decent track record, you should be ok. Be honest with yourself and focus on positive things you have done.
          This is true but taking this role doesn't preclude from these other things also. Its a month rolling with one week notice. (The client/agency has got a days notice!)

Might be a bummer if I get something better sorted on 1st day (Then I guess I'd have business decisions to make). But, as everyone keeps saying we're running a business - no reason why I can;t be unavailable for a day to attend interview somewhere else.

And we won;t start the giving notice argument here again! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Yeh. As discussed before, I'm sortta stuck with local roles at the mo due to personal sitaution.
            That's your main problem then. If you are stuck with local then perm/crap contract can be the only options during these quiet times.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              This is true but taking this role doesn't preclude from these other things also. Its a month rolling with one week notice. (The client/agency has got a days notice!)

Might be a bummer if I get something better sorted on 1st day (Then I guess I'd have business decisions to make). But, as everyone keeps saying we're running a business - no reason why I can;t be unavailable for a day to attend interview somewhere else.

And we won;t start the giving notice argument here again! :-)
              I think the peanut contracts are exempt from the general rule of not leaving a contract early (where's NLUK to bash me again).

Comment

That's your main problem then. If you are stuck with local then perm/crap contract can be the only options during these quiet times.
                Yep :-(

Comment

South Wales is not known to be a hot bed for contract testing work
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

I think the peanut contracts are exempt from the general rule of not leaving a contract early (where's NLUK to bash me again).
                    Again, yep IMHO. To be fair, I think the client in this case knows the score (I don't see how they could not) but is just happy to have someone at all.

Like I said, rate is awful and they wanted a few people with SC. Not the easiest thing to get.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                      South Wales is not known to be a hot bed for contract testing work
                      Its not a hot bed for any work is it? :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X