• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term work in Haiti - a good idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...they'll provide me with VIP treatment including personal security and a driver.
    One of the most corrupt countries of this world! Get a life insurance and give the policy to your loved one. Give away your belongings to the poor, you will not need them anymore. Then pray and go. If you return, you will be celebrated on national TV: "Returned after years of capture..." The only disadvantage of this is that you will not get a next contract. I have not seen ads recently on: "highly experience with corruption or forced labor camps..."

OK, this is only my personal opinion, but personally I would rather go to combat with the UK military to Syria then to Haiti on my own.
    My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
      OK, this is only my personal opinion, but personally I would rather go to combat with the UK military to Syria then to Haiti on my own.
      Agreed.

OP, if you're serious about taking this contract, find out EXACTLY what security company they're using and ask if you can provide your own. If they agree (which may potentially happen given that they're covering flights out for you), go through a company like Triple Canopy or similar and get an ex-military type to operate as your in-country security.

It may be a little expensive, but if things go tits-up, you'll want the veteran that's been in a firefight and not a local "bouncer" that carries a gun..

Or, if you're weapons proficient, ask if you can carry your own gun. I personally wouldn't take a contract in a conflict zone unless I was armed (concealed or otherwise)

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
        Or, if you're weapons proficient, ask if you can carry your own gun. I personally wouldn't take a contract in a conflict zone unless I was armed (concealed or otherwise)
        You will need to consider any IR35 implications if you're provided with the weapon - better to buy your own and expense it.

If you do need to use it please get a receipt for the rounds you fire.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
          You will need to consider any IR35 implications if you're provided with the weapon - better to buy your own and expense it.

If you do need to use it please get a receipt for the rounds you fire.
          What about medical care? Are they covering medical evacuation in case you are sick? I do not mean major sickness, but I would not even trust voodoo doctors for a diarrhea.
          My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
            ^^ This ^^

I was speaking to a contractor a couple of years ago. He said that he had to do some work in the middle east with the mulitary as some technical dude. He thought he'd be well protected as everyone around him had guns.

They gave him a gun, he was like "WTF?". They said they might not always be around so it's there incase he needed it

Anyway... good luck in Haiti
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

A good friend of my wife has been out there for three years, volunteering in a school / orphanage. She is a bit crazy. She loves it out there

Touristy is a bit optimistic. I expect there is an enclave of diplomats, aid workers and multi-national company employees. Find their forums.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                ^^ This ^^

I was speaking to a contractor a couple of years ago. He said that he had to do some work in the middle east with the mulitary as some technical dude. He thought he'd be well protected as everyone around him had guns.

They gave him a gun, he was like "WTF?". They said they might not always be around so it's there incase he needed it

Anyway... good luck in Haiti
                Worrying thing was there was only one bullet

Comment

Thanks guys - some good advice here. I probably will take the work if I get the offer because I need the money; I've been out of work since the end of January. I see online that plenty of people do go there; it's the tragedies that make the news.

The advice I've had so far is:

(1) Find out which areas are safe and stick to them.
                  (2) Find out who the security company are and make sure they're good.
                  (3) Get good travel and health insurance including repatriation costs.
                  (4) Find forums for foreigners who live and work there and ask for advice.
                  (5) Get thoroughly vaccinated.

Number (5) may be the deal-breaker; according to the NHS it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get one's immune system ready, and the client may need someone sooner than that.

Thanks again guys. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
                    Mate

Before you go anywhere get a handle on the country from:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ha.html

As others have said, think very carefully, do search for British IT contractor who went for a contract few years ago (I forget which country, Iraq possibly) his 5/6 guards killed, was kidnapped for few years, then luckily got released.....
                    No rate on earth worth that!!!
                    make sure its in the T's and C's you can still bill for the days while kidnapped.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                      make sure its in the T's and C's you can still bill for the days while kidnapped.
                      MOO?

Comment

Working...
                      X